Info please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info please!!

Cant find any info on this so dose anyone know how easy/hard it is to change the rubber boot on the engine end of the drive shaft?? And can you get the glue together ones?? Thanks!

Shaft out and strip down, as the actress said....

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force
      Cant find any info on this so dose anyone know how easy/hard it is to change the rubber boot on the engine end of the drive shaft?? And can you get the glue together ones?? Thanks!
      you can buy the glue type gaiters but they arnt worth a toss!
      best way is to take the shaft off and strip it down, it's not as bad as it looks..

good luck..
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
        Shaft out and strip down, as the actress said....
        No need to take out the shaft at the engine side it can be done just taking it off at the wheel end. slide the old boot off and the new one on.
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
          No need to take out the shaft at the engine side it can be done just taking it off at the wheel end. slide the old boot off and the new one on.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, a doddle, shooty in. Like the bloke who said suspension spacers "both sides done in twenty mins, no need to remove the wheels"

Comment

Nice 1 guys, ill have a lookse today, before the rain comes AGAIN! Ya say "leave the shaft on" so am i right in saying, take the outer gaiter of and change it that way, then put the outer one back on? am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force
              Nice 1 guys, ill have a lookse today, before the rain comes AGAIN! Ya say "leave the shaft on" so am i right in saying, take the outer gaiter of and change it that way, then put the outer one back on? am i right?
              Cant really help with that too much as the mechanic at chequered flag changed inners and outers on mine. He did it while I waited took him about 1 1/2 hours and cost £70 I know he didn't take the shaft out at the engine side, he cut off the old boot and stretched the new one over then did the outer and replaced the hub and wheel.

(I think Auld Nick was taking the pi$$ with his last comments)
              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                Cant really help with that too much as the mechanic at chequered flag changed inners and outers on mine. He did it while I waited took him about 1 1/2 hours and cost £70 I know he didn't take the shaft out at the engine side, he cut off the old boot and stretched the new one over then did the outer and replaced the hub and wheel.

(I think Auld Nick was taking the pi$$ with his last comments)
                Ya, fingered that mate, ill go get one and plod on with it. Thanks mate.

Comment

All sorted now. Got a stick togeather one and it went in a dream. 14 quid from local auto shop. Been on a 100 mile run and all's well. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Keep an eye on it cause they can come apart easy then u get $$$$ in ya cv...If i were u i would only use it as a temp measure and no way would i go off road with it on... that is my own opinion, others may not agree!!

ps. sent you a pm did u get it? i was down at portland retail park today. I could have picked up them tyres, cause im supposed to be going to darlington tommorrow.i just though copycat could have met me somwhere!
                    never mind there will be other times im sure.
                    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

ME, take the $$$$, never.

Glue together ones are orrible, streachy ones aint easy to erm streatch even with my pro streatcher tool thingy due to the size of the knobbly jointy bits.

Better just bite the bullet, get a real one, pull the shaft, do it on a bench and know it's done good & proper fitted with metal bands anaw NOT slip off tie wraps.

If you are goin to pull the shaft change BOTH gaiters, the Toyota kit comes with both but costs £80'ish but good hard wearing (non streatchy) wont cost more than £40 per pair.

A honest DIY novice repair time should take 2-3 hours for the first time/shaft but FFS it's a Surf everything is big, hammerable and fukwit friendly FFS even you could do it

Comment

Qunton Hazel outer heavy duty OUTER Cv boot = QJB571, the real thing and it wont streatch

Comment

Working...
                        X