turbo cool down period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo cool down period

just out of interest, how many of you do and how long do you wait before switching off the engine after a drive.
    i always give it a minute or 2 if ive been driving a while. and when ive got off the motorway like into a service station after being at a constant 7-8 psi for a good few hours i waited 5 - 6 minutes.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Re

Very rarely on motorways and long journeys but I have a Turbo Timer which is usually set to 30 seconds.

Very handy gadget!

If I did longer journeys I would set it up to 1/2 minutes etc.

Don't fancy having to buy new turbo, bummer!

Gary

Comment

I tend to leave the engine running for 30 seconds if around town, 1 to 2 minutes if I've been on the highway...

A turbo timer would be nice, but its not that long to wait... and Ive gotta get 3 kids out of the car if we go on a long trip... so that takes some time...
      1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
      1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

I've got about a two mile journey down country lanes before I get to my house, so I tend to just trundle along at 20- 25mph for 3 minutes before pulling on the driveway. I always assumed that would be enough to get the oil back into the turbo. Do I need to let it run on for a minute?

Comment

the problem isnt with the turbo cooling down as such it because the turbine sits in a phosphur bronze bearing which is fed oil under pressure via the engine,if you can image that the turbine reaches speed in excess of 60,000 rpm.shutting down the engine straight away will leave the turbine spooling down at high speed with no lubrication,thus damaging the bronze bearing.p.s the turbo is liquid cooled as well.so leaving the engine at idle for a few minutes after a long run is always recomended.hope that helps
          Last edited by surfenstein; 19 June 2007, 14:17.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
            the problem isnt with the turbo cooling down as such it because the turbine sits in a phosphur bronze bearing which is fed oil under pressure via the engine,if you can image that the turbine reaches speed in excess of 60,000 rpm.shutting down the engine straight away will leave the turbine spooling down at high speed with no lubrication,thus damaging the bronze bearing.p.s the turbo is liquid cooled as well.so leaving the engine at idle for a few minutes after a long run is always recomended.hope that helps
            is it cooled from the same coolant that cools our engines?
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
              is it cooled from the same coolant that cools our engines?
              yes it is.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Twenty to thirty seconds, as a rule, regardless of what type of driving I've been doing. Like Snatch says, it's more to lubricate whilst it spools down properly than anything else.

Comment

does this only apply to jap imports???
                  coz no other turbo owners do this except for maxed out motors
                  john
                  Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                    john
                    some motors use ball race bearings on there turbos but the same should apply to all turbo charged engines.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                      john
                      when i was running a garage i would always let the car idle after driving it in for about a minute. wether it was a mazda bongo or something.. if it had a turbo then it was left running for a bit. if the customer was hovering i would normally ask them how long they wanted me to wait. some people dont care it seems
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I leave it a minute or so on long runs, dont bov'er on short runs!

A freind of mine used to rebuild turbo's etc!!! until he was involved in a fatal accident, but he always said that during normal driving there is no need to let the engine idle for this reason as the turbo's dont gather enough rpm to justify it. unlike sports cars when you drive it like u stole it and make the turbo glow like a gud'n then the bearing could be exeading 100,000 rpm so these could run for a short while after the engine is shut off this is where the damage is done..
                        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

if you cant be bothered waiting, you could get yourself a auto turbo timer... will keep the engine running longer, the longer you have been on boost recently.. if you have been tootling around town, it will pretty much shut off pretty quick, if you have been on the throttle for a while, it might keep it running for a couple of minutes..
                          1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
                          1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

Working...
                          X