Acetone in Diesel (The Result)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone in Diesel (The Result)

2.4 TD Surf running through an Auto-Box. Up until now my maximum K's per tank were around 440km.

I filled up on Friday and added 60ml of acetone, did not drive any slower than normal and I am now on 460km with a quater of a tank left!!

Another side affect is no smoke, I increased the Boost and Wound up the fuel screw a few months back for more grunt so she usually smokes a bit but now, Nothing. Even at night with cars following and their headlight on the air behind is crystal clear

I know some people will tell me I will blow up and rot my fuel system, but a lot of race fuels are blended with upto 15% acetone, I dont think 0.01% will do much damage.

Works for me, may not for you (do a search on google (Acetone Diesel) make up your own mind.
    Last edited by j4mie; 18 June 2007, 09:11.

Very interesting, keep us informed on the progress.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Can you buy acetone over the counter and if so who or where would stock it?
      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
        Can you buy acetone over the counter and if so who or where would stock it?
        I think places that do fibre-glassing supplies sell it
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Get it from your local diy store, keep it away from your paint as it is also used as a paint stripper.

Comment

Your missus will have some if she paints her nails!

Comment

Just found this on Wikipedia:

Use as an automotive fuel additive

Some automotive enthusiasts add acetone at around 1 part in 500 to their fuel, following claims of dramatic improvement in fuel economy and engine life[2]. This practice is controversial as there are counterclaims that acetone has no measurable effect or may in fact reduce engine life by adversely affecting fuel system parts[3][4][5]. Debates on this subject and claims of Big Oil cover-up intensified when the practice was addressed on the popular American TV show Mythbusters in 2006, and shown to have negative effect in the televised fuel economy test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone
              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I tried it in veg, i bought nail polish remover from boots and noticed..................bugge r all, that was when i used to work out every tank-got kids now so no time to do that.
                you need to do it over a few tanks to get an accurate result.
                Ray

Comment

If you're happy with it, all the best. Results, however, would need to be something far more substantial, and under perfectly equal testing conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    If you're happy with it, all the best. Results, however, would need to be something far more substantial, and under perfectly equal testing conditions.
                    i agree. you must always wear your white lab coat, and have beakers and tubes at the ready
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

From Myth Busters website:

"Great Gas Conspiracy
                      Myth: Automakers and fuel suppliers are in collusion to keep us dependent on expensive gasoline and inefficient cars. There are many devices that one can use to cut your fuel consumption.

They got a carbureted car and a fuel-injected car to test several types of devices. The cars were placed on a dynamometer, which allows the car to drive without moving anywhere.

Test devices and additives:

Fuel line magnets: working on the "principles of hydrodynamics," they are supposed to align the molecules for more efficient consumption.
                      Acetone additive: supposed to make gasoline burn more efficiently
                      300mpg 'super' carburetor
                      Hydrogen fuel cell generator: flammable hydrogen gas produced by electrolysis. Adam labeled it "Gasbuster: Stickin' it to the Man"
                      They tested each car on the dynamometer at 35mph and 55mph with each 'device.'

Carburetor car:

Baseline: 17mpg at 35mph and 25mpg at 55mph
                      Magnets: exactly the same as baseline busted
                      Acetone: 16.7mpg at 35mph and 24mpg at 55mph busted
                      Super carb: much worse than baseline, 12mpg at 35mph and 17.7mpg at 55mph busted
                      Fuel-injected car

Baseline: 19mpg at 35mph and 27mpg at 55mph
                      Magnets: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted
                      Acetone: 18mpg at 35mph and 26mpg at 55mph busted"

Note- those magnet things are a waste of money too.

Comment

I saw that mythbusters episode on tv! One thing they did point out at the end is that a diesel car will work on wvo or svo with no modifications... they mentioned something about it being unpractical to collect and filter wvo to make it a suitable biodiesel... or somet along those lines!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                          I saw that mythbusters episode on tv! One thing they did point out at the end is that a diesel car will work on wvo or svo with no modifications... they mentioned something about it being unpractical to collect and filter wvo to make it a suitable biodiesel... or somet along those lines!
                          Thing is, at US prices there is little incentive pricewise. At UK prices it's a bit different.
                          Paul </Slugsie>
                          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                            Thing is, at US prices there is little incentive pricewise. At UK prices it's a bit different.
                            Oh yeah! completely agree with you mate!! Some of the cars/trucks on offer in america are sooo uneconomical! but its not important when the fuel price is so low! Im over the moon about the 2500ltrs! Cheaper/greener motoring!

... Now to just save up for a Dodge Ram 2500 cummins!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                              Oh yeah! completely agree with you mate!! Some of the cars/trucks on offer in america are sooo uneconomical! but its not important when the fuel price is so low! Im over the moon about the 2500ltrs! Cheaper/greener motoring!

... Now to just save up for a Dodge Ram 2500 cummins!
                              you know !
                              plus their cars/trucks over there are a fraction of the price of what our stuff costs over here. eg, i was looking at buying a new corsa diesel (years ago - i was young and stupid), with air con, and nice seats and a few nice bits...£14,000 ! for that money now, i could have a brand new mustang and still have a few grand change
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X