X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Squeak / Whistle

Hi all,

Yet another problem to diagnose !

I have a constant noise coming from either the driver side front or rear wheel (can't be certain but I think it is the front). It's a high pitched whistle that occurs when I turn the wheels right or left, and once it starts it doesn't stop.

It isn't the turbo, because I can hear that too. This is a new noise, and it's getting on my t*ts!!!

I have attached 2 photos below. The first shows the passenger side front wheel (don't ask me what part it is! That's why I'm asking you!). As you can see it is nice and straight. The Drivers side is slightly bent though, and I didn't know whether this could have something to do with it. If not, should I get this replaced anyway?

I must admit that I haven't lubricated the ball joints in a while . . . . ever . . . please don't shoot me!

Could this be an explanation?

Any other suggestions will be greatly received.

I now give you permission to tell me off for poor Surf maintenance

Dave
    Last edited by Bludger; 7 June 2007, 17:50.
    Just Vegging Out

have you tried jacking the front wheel up one by one and spinning them to see if the noise is there?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
      have you tried jacking the front wheel up one by one and spinning them to see if the noise is there?
      Not yet, Was going to do that this weekend 'cause I want to check the CV joints as well.
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger
        Hi all,

Yet another problem to diagnose !

I have a constant noise coming from either the driver side front or rear wheel (can't be certain but I think it is the front). It's a high pitched whistle that occurs when I turn the wheels right or left, and once it starts it doesn't stop.

It isn't the turbo, because I can hear that too. This is a new noise, and it's getting on my t*ts!!!

I have attached 2 photos below. The first shows the passenger side front wheel (don't ask me what part it is! That's why I'm asking you!). As you can see it is nice and straight. The Drivers side is slightly bent though, and I didn't know whether this could have something to do with it. If not, should I get this replaced anyway?

I must admit that I haven't lubricated the ball joints in a while . . . . ever . . . please don't shoot me!

Could this be an explanation?

Any other suggestions will be greatly received.

I now give you permission to tell me off for poor Surf maintenance

Dave
        Have you topped up the power steering fluid? check the tension on the belts.
        Book it in for a good service with TonyN
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Just a thought.....
          Not sure if it would make the noise described, but have you checked the brake pads as I believe some have a "thingy" (not a technical term) on them that makes noise when it's time to change the pads.
          Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L3Mm1n6
            Just a thought.....
            Not sure if it would make the noise described, but have you checked the brake pads as I believe some have a "thingy" (not a technical term) on them that makes noise when it's time to change the pads.
            Hes right. well done mate forgot about that. its worth doing the cheap stuff first
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
              Hes right. well done mate forgot about that. its worth doing the cheap stuff first
              Would that be a constant noise, or just when braking. i know it is getting close to changing the pads, so that would be the reason.

thanks guys
              Just Vegging Out

Comment

I believe the noise from the wear limit indicators would be fairly constant, you may just be hitting the wear limit which could explain the noise only starting when you turn and then carrying on. If you think the pads are low anyways then changing them would be A)Wise and B)could sort your noise issue.
                All the best,
                Doug.
                Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X