Rear wheel bearing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearing..

My rear nearside bearing collapsed on the way to southampton whilst pulling my boat. That was a scarey brown pants moment. I braked approaching an island and BANG!!!, i thought the trailer had come unhitched and hit the rear of the truck. Anyway when pulling away the truck felt like the brake shoes had seized and pulled decidely to the right. To cut a long story short, I managed to get home (very carefully) and took the rear hub off, just as it popped off, lsd oil started dripping from the hub. I assume these are symptoms of oil seal failure caused by the collapsed bearing. It just so happens that a mate of mine has a rear axle complete with hubs and said i can have it for £140. My local garage have quoted me £150 to swap the axles or £95 plus £bearing to change just the bearing. Should i have the complete axle (with 3 month warranty) or just go for the new bearing?
    Last edited by Antshiel; 6 June 2007, 19:05.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Originally posted by Antshiel
    My rear nearside bearing collapsed on the way to southampton whilst pulling my boat. That was a scarey brown pants moment. I braked approaching an island and BANG!!!, i thought the trailer had come unhitched and hit the rear of the truck. Anyway when pulling away the truck felt like the brake shoes had seized and pulled decidely to the right. To cut a long story short, I managed to get home (very carefully) and took the rear hub off, just as it popped off, lsd oil started dripping from the hub. I assume these are symptoms of oil seal failure caused by the collapsed bearing. It just so happens that a mate of mine has a rear axle complete with hubs and said i can have it for £40. My local garage have quoted me £150 to swap the axles or £95 plus £bearing to change just the bearing. Should i have the complete axle (with 3 month warranty) or just go for the new bearing?
    Buy new bearing kit and find somewhere cheaper to fit it or do it yourself and maybe get the axle for spares at that price
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Thing
      Buy new bearing kit and find somewhere cheaper to fit it or do it yourself and maybe get the axle for spares at that price
      Sorry missed a 1 off £140

Comment

Whole axle is a bit excessive! Its not a hard job with the right tools. At least you'll know its got a new bearing, and the other axle might not have an LSD in it and do you know its the right gear ratio. The bearing and seal kit complete is only £30. I'd expect to get both bearings changed for £100 labour! I do!!

Don't forget you probably need new rear shoes (although they can be cleaned with brake cleaner sometimes) and LSD diff oil top up as well.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry missed a 1 off £140
          Then get a new bearing and find someone to do it cheaper than £95, shouldn't take more than an hour to fit
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Whole axle is a bit excessive! Its not a hard job with the right tools. At least you'll know its got a new bearing, and the other axle might not have an LSD in it and do you know its the right gear ratio. The bearing and seal kit complete is only £30. I'd expect to get both bearings changed for £100 labour! I do!!

Don't forget you probably need new rear shoes (although they can be cleaned with brake cleaner sometimes) and LSD diff oil top up as well.
            Right then as we all seem to be heading towards the new bearing avenue, is there a preferance as to where i get it or do i just go for a roughtrax one?

Comment

Right then as we all seem to be heading towards the new bearing avenue, is there a preferance as to where i get it or do i just go for a roughtrax one?

I'm amazed you found your way home considering you lost your bearing!!!

ahem. Roughtrax are your best option.

Comment

Working...
              X