What to look out for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look out for

I'm thinking of buying a 3.0l TD Surf for scuba diving trips etc. and was wondering if I could get some general advice about how to avoid buying a duff one.

I'm aiming at the lower end of the budgetery scale (£2000-3000) so I'm not expecting it to be beautifuly shinny with a perfect interior but I do need it to be mechanically sound.

What are the usual expensive fixes, obviously noticeable broken bits and general stuff I should check?

Thanks,

Keith

what to buy

just make sure it doesn't say
    A. defender
    B. discovery
    C.anything but SURF on it

seriously wait till one of the more mechanically minded members can tell you what to look for
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Try and avoid the 2.4ltr, both for the fact that they have a known design flaw (heads crack, cost £1K+ to fix), and they are drastically underpowered.

For £3K you shouldn't have much difficulty in getting an early 3.0ltr diesel 2nd gen. Not much in the way of major problems with them (at least nothing that you shouldn't expect on a 14 year old car. Check that there are no major leaks in the engine bay (but if it's too clean - i.e. just been steam cleaned - be wary), that all the bits work (including the rear window both on the switch and the key). Check underneath to see if it's been sealed and if there is any obvious damage from off-roading.

Other than that, little to worry about. They are reliable cars (even the 2.4ltr with a modified head), and way ahead of any of the British sold 4x4 competition in terms of build quality and reliability.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

If you wanna hand looking over one let me know and if i can i will meet up with you as i am in bristol.i will keep my eyes open for a nice one for you
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Originally posted by polyacrodus
          I'm thinking of buying a 3.0l TD Surf for scuba diving trips etc. and was wondering if I could get some general advice about how to avoid buying a duff one.

I'm aiming at the lower end of the budgetery scale (£2000-3000) so I'm not expecting it to be beautifuly shinny with a perfect interior but I do need it to be mechanically sound.

What are the usual expensive fixes, obviously noticeable broken bits and general stuff I should check?

Thanks,

Keith
          if your buying it for scuba diving trips make sure its got a snorkel fitted
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

JUST FOUND THIS IN TRADE IT

Larger PicturePrice: £2565
            Advert Placed: 26/05/2007 09:07:00
            Advert Viewed: 33 times
            HI LUX SURF 4WD 3.0 SSRX TD L Reg. 66,000 miles. Burgundy over Grey. Tax & MOT. Alloys, CD/Radio, Sunroof, Low Mileage for year. New Job forces sale. Please call after 6.00 pm £2565.00 ono 01225 719362
            Back

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone,

Any additional advice is gratefully received

Kiowa, Thanks for the offer (I may well take you up on that) and for the lead. I've looked for the advert on trade-it but can't find it (weird!) can you forward me a link to the webpage?

Thanks

Keith

Comment

if you pm your email address i will find it send it to you mate or go to the trade it web site

select DRIVE then toyota then misc select bristol and hit the search button and go to bottom of the third page
                Last edited by kiowa; 5 June 2007, 17:26.

Comment

Hi,

I tried to send a private message but the system blocked me for some reason so I sent an email instead. If it doesn't get through let me know.

Cheers,

Keith

Comment

sent it to you keith

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
                      JUST FOUND THIS IN TRADE IT

Larger PicturePrice: £2565
                      Advert Placed: 26/05/2007 09:07:00
                      Advert Viewed: 33 times
                      HI LUX SURF 4WD 3.0 SSRX TD L Reg. 66,000 miles. Burgundy over Grey. Tax & MOT. Alloys, CD/Radio, Sunroof, Low Mileage for year. New Job forces sale. Please call after 6.00 pm £2565.00 ono 01225 719362
                      Back
                      But it's (cough) Bug ger rundy!!!!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        But it's (cough) Bug ger rundy!!!!
                        and its got a saggy bum but thats easily fixed i suppose
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                        X