Noob saying hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob saying hello

Hello everyone, i've been thinking about getting a surf sometime soon, wanted to try a little green laning or offroading plus hopefully i'll actually save money on fuel compared to the car I have now
    At the minute i've got a mitsubishi legnum which is pretty much the perfect car if it weren't for the petrol consumption which can get as low as 10mpg if your right foot gets heavy.
    Haven't actually driven a surf yet or been in one, will have to find a garage and pretend to be interested in one as I haven't sold my present car yet so I can't afford one.
    It was a toss up between a mitsubishi challenger and the hilux but i think i'll go with the hilux because there seems to be more around, so I can have a bit more choice in the one I get.

Already had a good look around the forum and it seems to be a great place to find information (especially because I probably would have banged it into 4wd as soon as I got it and then wreck the transmission )
    Thanks for reading and hopefully i'll be joining you soon
    Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the madhouse, plenty of help here for everyone. Hope you find your ideal Surf soon, and we're a friendly bunch really!

Cheers, Andrew.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Hi and welcome , hilux is the way to go!! good luck!

where in mansfield u from?
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

outstanding, another local(ish) lad, magnum is from mansfield and if you fancy a little offroading your more than welcome to come and play with us!
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

a freind picked a 2.4 up for £980 on a "k" plate last week :wow: very good nick too

happy surfing m8 try n go 4 a 3.0ltr
          zacco

Comment

I'm in forest town in mansfield. At the minute I always work weekends which means I don't have any time for activities at weekends and it's really winding me up now. Hopefully though if my business idea takes off it should free up some time on weekends then I can't wait to do some green laning or go off road.
            I'm looking for a 3 litre, my ideal surf would be black (or blue) 3litre TD with manual transmission and about 60,000 miles, all for £3000 or less. Oh and it would be even better if they would like to swap for a legnum and give me two grand. Me thinks I might be looking for some time

Comment

hi and welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.happy searching.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

welcome to the mad house, your get lots of help and advice on here

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan
                  I'm in forest town in mansfield. At the minute I always work weekends which means I don't have any time for activities at weekends and it's really winding me up now. Hopefully though if my business idea takes off it should free up some time on weekends then I can't wait to do some green laning or go off road.
                  I'm looking for a 3 litre, my ideal surf would be black (or blue) 3litre TD with manual transmission and about 60,000 miles, all for £3000 or less. Oh and it would be even better if they would like to swap for a legnum and give me two grand. Me thinks I might be looking for some time
                  i know forest town, used to live near buy , eakring road, still visit mi mum whom lives in woodhouse now, spent some of my best years there!
                  which school did u go to?

Comment

Hello everyone, i've been thinking about getting a surf sometime soon, wanted to try a little green laning or offroading plus hopefully i'll actually save money on fuel compared to the car I have now
                    At the minute i've got a mitsubishi legnum which is pretty much the perfect car if it weren't for the petrol consumption which can get as low as 10mpg if your right foot gets heavy.
                    Haven't actually driven a surf yet or been in one, will have to find a garage and pretend to be interested in one as I haven't sold my present car yet so I can't afford one.
                    It was a toss up between a mitsubishi challenger and the hilux but i think i'll go with the hilux because there seems to be more around, so I can have a bit more choice in the one I get.

Already had a good look around the forum and it seems to be a great place to find information (especially because I probably would have banged it into 4wd as soon as I got it and then wreck the transmission )
                    Thanks for reading and hopefully i'll be joining you soon
                    Dan
                    alright mate
                    im getting about 24mpg with my 2.4td and the 3.0 get about the same ish apparently. but when you use veggie oil it effectively doubles the fuel economy... well not really, but its about 60% cheaper than derv so there ya are :p
                    i used to have a 325i the old shape and before that a 14 second quarter mile fast road car. and since buying the surf ive always thought why didnt i buy it first!!
                    try and get one with the recaro seats they are very comfy.
                    i know some people prefer manual, but the way i look at it is- ill never need a clutch! and ive heard clutches are big money on these because of whats involved. and automatic must be better for off road when your trying to get out of some mud or up some steep hill!
                    i think everyone will agree that you have made a good choice here
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I went to Sherwood Hall, but used to live at Big Barn Lane, just off Eakring road.
                      I've been thinking about the manual/auto thing today and now i'm not too sure which one to go for. With manual it'll be more fun and involving to drive, can use engine braking, doesn't creep forward really slowly and crash me into walls possibly the manual might be more reliable? (that last bit is a random guess though). But with an auto the creeping is great for traffic, i'll get more surfs to choose from, faster gear changing (always thought that manuals were better for off road but now i've been told otherwise), and possibly most importantly an auto can leave my left hand free for eating crisps and/or m&ms
                      Am I right in thinking that the recaro seats only come on the G spec models? I was lucky with my legnum as I managed to get the one with a full recaro interior rather than the old man stylee cream leather and wood trim. I have been forbidden from getting anything with wood trim by my missus after we once had a Rover 216, it must have left permanent mental scarring

After I had some boring cars I first got a nissan 200sx (which was very nice although my naivety with rear wheel drive cars set me up for some serious brown pants moments) then a Toyota celica GT4, then a R32 GTS and then a R32 GTR skylines then finally the Legnum because we got the doggies and they wouldn't fit in a sporty coupe. Have to admit that they are getting a little bit boring now, yes they go fast but there will always be someone out there faster than you and the road is no place to test out how fast they will really go and trackdays are too expensive for me.

Been showing the missus some pictures of surfs green laning and she's pretty excited about getting one now so just got to sell my car now.

Comment

I went to Sherwood Hall, but used to live at Big Barn Lane, just off Eakring road.
                        I've been thinking about the manual/auto thing today and now i'm not too sure which one to go for. With manual it'll be more fun and involving to drive, can use engine braking, doesn't creep forward really slowly and crash me into walls possibly the manual might be more reliable? (that last bit is a random guess though). But with an auto the creeping is great for traffic, i'll get more surfs to choose from, faster gear changing (always thought that manuals were better for off road but now i've been told otherwise), and possibly most importantly an auto can leave my left hand free for eating crisps and/or m&ms
                        Am I right in thinking that the recaro seats only come on the G spec models? I was lucky with my legnum as I managed to get the one with a full recaro interior rather than the old man stylee cream leather and wood trim. I have been forbidden from getting anything with wood trim by my missus after we once had a Rover 216, it must have left permanent mental scarring

After I had some boring cars I first got a nissan 200sx (which was very nice although my naivety with rear wheel drive cars set me up for some serious brown pants moments) then a Toyota celica GT4, then a R32 GTS and then a R32 GTR skylines then finally the Legnum because we got the doggies and they wouldn't fit in a sporty coupe. Have to admit that they are getting a little bit boring now, yes they go fast but there will always be someone out there faster than you and the road is no place to test out how fast they will really go and trackdays are too expensive for me.

Been showing the missus some pictures of surfs green laning and she's pretty excited about getting one now so just got to sell my car now.
                        i think ive pretty much mastered the sideways action. i did almost 3 laps of a roundabout sideways a few years ago. its quality. once you have the feel it helps you in any situation that it might catch you out. even the surf goes sideways.
                        the legnum - is that the 450bhp one? the similar engine to the gto but slightly different? i drove one a little while ago and its really a wolf in sheeps clothing. so quick! 4wd aswel!
                        automatics can use engine braking too.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                          welcome to the mad house, your get lots of help and advice on here
                          Don't forget we also have some FUN as well Sledge !!!!
                          Hello & Welcome

There's always a Payback .... Ya jus t won't see it Comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                            i know forest town, used to live near buy , eakring road, still visit mi mum whom lives in woodhouse now, spent some of my best years there!
                            which school did u go to?
                            Funny Coincidence me Nan used to live near Forest Town, (Clipstone)
                            Good ol days ...

There's always a Payback .... Ya just won't see em Comin !!!!
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Small world i also did sherwoodhall, i lived near the post office that joined eakring road with oaktree lane. had a lot of freinds live on big barn lane.
                              Not been down that way for a bit though.

good luck with the surf finding i hope you get what u want.

Comment

Working...
                              X