the right gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the right gear

had a bit of a prob today coming home from lowestoft noticed the truck wasn't changing up into the last gear it was high revving and the temp gauge started moving towards the brown pants section
    took foot of accelerator let it slowly rev up the temp gauge came back down ,
    noticed acouple of times as i was pulling away from lights as well,
    atf seems ok , level seems ok ,so any other ideas although i might change atf just to be sure
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Hi Dave,

Wasn't changing into last gear or wasn't engaging the overdrive?
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

aint to sure andy it might be the overdrive , but it still sounded high revving only about 50 yards of the lights then another time it would be fine

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
        aint to sure andy it might be the overdrive , but it still sounded high revving only about 50 yards of the lights then another time it would be fine
        Sorry to hear its still playing up, not sure what it could be
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

pm me your email addy - I've got a generic Toyota manul for autos (that sounds wierd) I'll mail it as soon as

Maybe a sticky solenoid?

I've been having a look at mine and can't get the pan off - the exhaust has to be removed and the downpipe is well and truly stuck on.

Comment

oh yeah forgot to mention it was near the end of my journey say the last twenty miles of a 160 mile journey , could it be that the atf was failing say under heat , same as going up therel ast 20 -30 miles same prob,
            cheers for the offfer andy will pm you,not that i will understand it not mechanically minded

Comment

I thought you had an ATF cooler fitted?????

Comment

Sounds like it may be temp related, when was the ATF changed last?
                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Isn't there a filter inside the gearbox sump, maybe its partially blocked.
                  also you said the temp was going up, sounds like it maybe a heat problem, could be the atf getting to hot or engine getting to hot then overheating atf

Comment

not that i will understand it not mechanically minded
                    Me neither.

When you read the manual your wonder how the hell anything happens - there is a lot going on between all the different sensors etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                      Me neither.

When you read the manual your wonder how the hell anything happens - there is a lot going on between all the different sensors etc.
                      Dave when you get the manual can you forward it to me, maybe i can understand it and see something that would cause this problem mate

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                        I thought you had an ATF cooler fitted?????
                        the fellah who owned the truck before me had it fitted , put some atf fluid in when we took off rad [to clean]but i think it was just topped up, so if im right the atf was last changed when tony fitted the cooler about 18 months ago

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Thing
                          Isn't there a filter inside the gearbox sump, maybe its partially blocked.
                          also you said the temp was going up, sounds like it maybe a heat problem, could be the atf getting to hot or engine getting to hot then overheating atf
                          no the temp didnt go up till the revs stayed high and dropped soon as the revs went down ,will ask andy to send it to you as it will be pure gibberish to me

Comment

no the temp didnt go up till the revs stayed high and dropped soon as the revs went down ,will ask andy to send it to you as it will be pure gibberish to me
                            ok mate my email address is gary.friend1@btinternet.com

Comment

Changed the fluid on mine last week, You will need to drop the exhaust and front ARB. Very messy job about 5 ltr's of ATF when the sump plug is released and another 1-1.5 ltr's from the filter housing when that is dropped.

I removed the solonoids and cleaned all contacts with sandpaper, Cleaned the filter with Degreasent and high pressure water hose, before replacing everything (free from dirt and dry!).

I filled up with Dextron 3 (Dex. 2 is recommended) and tightened up the slack on the cable running from the throttle body to the trans (this increases the fluid pressure to the solonoids for faster changes).

Took about 5 hours but the truck is transformed, feels like more power is being transmitted to the ground and the gear changes happen a lot quicker (and when they should).

I am not a mechanic but this was a pretty easy job. Just messy and time consuming, Did I say it was messy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X