The generation gap ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The generation gap ???

Hi all call me stupid (i know thats an invitation ) but im new around here and to surfs i kinda rushed in with both feet and got stung by a dealer but hey that was my fault and im just waiting to for a report to come back as iv a feeling after starting work on my surf that i brought a cat C right off

main question though is how can i tell my generation as iv seen so many pics and also so many years claiming to be generation 2 generation 3 ect but cant seem to work out the visual difrences as im sure that some iv seen around
    the net are gen 2 claiming to be gen 3 ect is there any real way of telling and is there a time span for each gen ?
    !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Originally posted by drcrippen324
    Hi all call me stupid (i know thats an invitation ) but im new around here and to surfs i kinda rushed in with both feet and got stung by a dealer but hey that was my fault and im just waiting to for a report to come back as iv a feeling after starting work on my surf that i brought a cat C right off

main question though is how can i tell my generation as iv seen so many pics and also so many years claiming to be generation 2 generation 3 ect but cant seem to work out the visual difrences as im sure that some iv seen around
    the net are gen 2 claiming to be gen 3 ect is there any real way of telling and is there a time span for each gen ?

The easiest and quickest way to tell them apart is.....

2nd gens have the fuel filler on the drivers side, 3rd gens on the passenger side.

(on right-hand drive trucks of course)

2nd gen from '89 to '96, 3rd gen '96 'til 2000ish.

Comment

ideal thanks had a feeling mine was gen 2 just couldent be sure befor i started ordering parts

now for some toys
      !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

this thread has pics of the gen 2 in various guises, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=34067&page=2

Quick overview and how to identify
        1st gen - <89 removable rear roof section, leaf sprung rear??

2nd gen - 89>95(maybe 96) drop down rear tailgate, pre and post facelift front ends as in thread above, torsion bar front suspension

3rd gen - 95>?? lift up tailgate like most estate cars, coil sprung suspension all round
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
          this thread has pics of the gen 2 in various guises, http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=34067&page=2

Quick overview and how to identify
          1st gen - <89 removable rear roof section, leaf sprung rear??

2nd gen - 89>95(maybe 96) drop down rear tailgate, pre and post facelift front ends as in thread above, torsion bar front suspension

3rd gen - 95>?? lift up tailgate like most estate cars, coil sprung suspension all round
          3Gen Also has special hook for hairdryer and handy pull out rack for combs

Comment

#rd Gen
            1. Top roof rails
            2. rear side window is inline with door windows unlike 2nd gen which has raised window curved up towards the roof
            3. Windows on the door are designed like a car with black painted pillars
            4. Most are intercooled
            5. Most are not saggy
            6. 16 inch wheels
            See the attached pic for differences hightighted
            Truckin' Time

Comment

And probably even easier, 2nd gen has drop down tailgate, 3rd gen has lift up tailgate.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                And probably even easier, 2nd gen has drop down tailgate, 3rd gen has lift up tailgate.

2nd gen has drop down tailgate....drop off tailgate more like...ie getting a bit dated now

3rd Gen = MAN'S TRUCK cooooool
                Nut in a Truck

Comment

Originally posted by fatmat
                  3rd Gen = MAN'S TRUCK cooooool
                  Yup. This type of blokes truck.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Yup. This type of blokes truck.

I think i've cracked the code....when someone places a post claiming they may buy a 3rd gen all the 2nd gen guys try to put this guy off in order to sell him their 2nd gen so they can go and buy the 3rd gen....now it makes sence your tired of your old chugging, plough pulling tractor type thingy and want to upgrade to a sleek multi purpose vehicle.

next time you see a 3rd gen in your mirror flashing his lights, do the decent thing and pull over to let him past.....vrrrrrmmmmmmmmm.
                    Nut in a Truck

Comment

Originally posted by fatmat
                      I think i've cracked the code....when someone places a post claiming they may buy a 3rd gen all the 2nd gen guys try to put this guy off in order to sell him their 2nd gen so they can go and buy the 3rd gen....now it makes sence your tired of your old chugging, plough pulling tractor type thingy and want to upgrade to a sleek multi purpose vehicle.
                      Very close. The condensed version is:

Third gens are gay offroaders.

Comment

3rd gens have all that gay plastic trim that falls off when you go off road ( as they were designed for hair dressers that live in chelsea)

Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

sorry guys you will see the light when you have owned both
                          2 gen = rugged
                          3 gen = refined

2gen with 3 gen running gear and rising rear door = perfection

jj
                          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                            sorry guys you will see the light when you have owned both
                            2 gen = rugged
                            3 gen = refined

2gen with 3 gen running gear and rising rear door = perfection

jj

Guess I'm the rugged type then....
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

As the bowl of chrysanthemums was not heard to say:

Oh No

Not again...

Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                              X