Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello all - I've recently purchased myself a Surf and found this very useful forum, which has already helped out no end with working out what everything does and servicing the rear window.

I picked up my 92(K) SSR-G last week, it's a 2LTE, with 76,000KM on the clock, and I couldn't be happier with it, however I do have quite a few questions, so apologies for dumping them all in one post!

Since reading the forum I'm getting a bit paranoid about overheating problems! Had a few runs on the motorway at 70-80MPH and never seen the gaugue go past 1/2 way, but I'm always wary of trusting these things!

I read somewhere about a "capillary thermostat" that could help and am considering replacing the temp. sensor as well... maybe even the radiator. Does anyone know sources and/or rough prices for these items (I'm in Manchester if that helps)?

Second concern is shocks - it desparately needs a full replacement set. Can anyone recommend some? I can't see myself offroading in it to be honest, but the a lot of the roads near me are terrible, so I really just need decent roadholding and as comfy a ride as possible.

Minor things include:
    In 2WD, are Surfs rear or front wheel drive?
    Does anyone know where I can get a foglight switch, as it looks like I'll need to convert one of the reverse lights.
    Should the air unit in the ceiling switch itself on at random?
    Do people know of any problems using fuel / oil / coolant / transmission treatments such as Greased Lightning, as I always used them in my last car to keep it running smooth, and this thing will be getting a full service ASAP.

Phew! Thanks for your patience - help with any of this lot will be greatly appreciated.

In 2WD, are Surfs rear or front wheel drive? REAR

Does anyone know where I can get a foglight switch, as it looks like I'll need to convert one of the reverse lights.Car accessories shop / motor factor

Do people know of any problems using fuel / oil / coolant / transmission treatments such as Greased Lightning, Wouldn't bother with any fuel/oil additives... they're overpriced rubbish / con.

I read somewhere about a "capillary thermostat" that could help and am considering replacing the temp. sensor as well... maybe even the radiator. Does anyone know sources and/or rough prices for these items (I'm in Manchester if that helps)?Car accessories shop / motor factor

Second concern is shocks - it desparately needs a full replacement set. Can anyone recommend some? I can't see myself offroading in it to be honest, but the a lot of the roads near me are terrible, so I really just need decent roadholding and as comfy a ride as possible.
    www.milneroffroad.co.uk or www.supertrux.com
    Last edited by dabigman; 13 February 2004, 20:09.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

HELLO!

The cylinder head thing could happen, if something else goes wrong, and it gets hot. But a cracked head will pressurise the cooling system, pumping the fluid out leading it to overheat, so keep an eye on the expansion tank. The Rads are often a weak point, check for corroded joints leading to leaks. And air locks are easy to get if not filled up with care after draining the coolant.

For shocks, best value is Procomp 3000 or 9000 (9's are better gas shocks, but slightly stiffer) but you will lose the adjustability. Others are available, Bilstein, monroe, rancho, etc, but most people here use the Procomps. If your rear is lower than the front, it'll need rear coils, they usually are! +2" HD springs for the rear are the best bet

1/ Rear.
      2/Halfrauds or any car shop, or go to Toyota and buy a 4Runner one to match the other switches.
      3/Dunno, climate control might be auto, but never seen one.
      4/Never heard of it! Redline lubricates are the nutz, but a little dear.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Damn, took too long fixing typo's!!! Matt beat me to it!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If you bought it from a dealer then it will be MOT'd, so should already have a fog light switch on it. Unless f course you have imported yourself and getting it ready for the MOT. You will need an illuminated switch for the fog light, Maplins etc.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

james im just down the road from you in sale. if you want to pop round with your truck i can point a few things out for you if you like.
            shocks from http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/
            Last edited by marky; 13 February 2004, 21:43.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Thanks for the great replies - looks like I'll be getting some procomps as soon as possible.

I have no idea how it passed its MOT when it was imported last year without a foglight.

Anyone heard about those "capillary thermostats" and if they have any advantages over a standard one? Getting the cooling system as reliable as possible is my top priority.

Mark: Thanks - I'll have to take you up on that offer some time!

Comment

keep an eye on your private mail mate
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
                  Thanks for the great replies - looks like I'll be getting some procomps as soon as possible.

I have no idea how it passed its MOT when it was imported last year without a foglight.

Anyone heard about those "capillary thermostats" and if they have any advantages over a standard one? Getting the cooling system as reliable as possible is my top priority.

Mark: Thanks - I'll have to take you up on that offer some time!
                  I might be wrong, but as your Surf is older than 10years it wouldnt require an SVA test, so therefore a fog light wouldnt have been compulsory.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                    I might be wrong, but as your Surf is older than 10years it wouldnt require an SVA test, so therefore a fog light wouldnt have been compulsory.

It would have needed it for the MOT though Trev
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

JAMES you can get new shocks from a place in LYMM
                      http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/

I now where it is they are updating the new website at the moment.
                      shocks are around £36 each including VAT
                      Last edited by marky; 14 February 2004, 20:53.
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                      X