its a start: veg oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its a start: veg oil

i dropped over a 25litre drum to the kebab / buger & chip shop round the corner yesterday, now ill get free fuel!
    i did say only put in veg oil. i dont really want kebab meat juice in there aswel as its not been tested!
    more pennies saved on fuel = more pennies spent on surf!
    ill just seive the chip crumbs out and all should be well i hope.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by tonyppe
    i dropped over a 25litre drum to the kebab / buger & chip shop round the corner yesterday, now ill get free fuel!
    i did say only put in veg oil. i dont really want kebab meat juice in there aswel as its not been tested!

They wont change it that much will they... 2 weeks is the average (and thats a clean chippy) turn around for the oil change.

Each pan in a chip range is around the 10ltr mark, a 3 pan range will give you 30ltr per fortnight before you have filtered it. If you do less than 100km a week your laughing. Plus if they do put in animal fats and it solidifies you will know about it...

Does anyone know if burnt oil (when its dark brown and your chips taste burnt) still burns as a fuel as the calorific value will have changed somewhat?
    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I would let it stand and then take care pouring off the clear top layer, it will need to be well filtered then before use.

Have a spare fuel filter or three ready as the muck gets dragged off the bottom of the tank.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php full of info, you may want to check its acidity and wash it. look at the forum and be prepared to use a few more filters
        Ray

Comment

ill only need 20 litres every couple of weeks.
          ive already tested my car with some clean veg oil from the shop -brand new.
          first ive heard of a clear top layer. how would i get rid of that?
          i asked them only to use veg oil for me, and no animal fats.
          i was going to filter it using a very small holed gause and may be some tights wrapped around the top of the funnel too.
          would that be enough? or do i need to use paper?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The clear top layer is the best bit.

If you're serious about using oil from your chippy you may need to check things out a bit further.
            Firstly what type of oil are they using? Many use palm oil which is solid at room temperature, this is clearly of little use to us.
            It will need to be filtered well, really well. In order to filter used oil down to the required level (around 10 microns) it will usually need to be filtered under pressure, or whilst hot, or simply over a prolonged period. I pair of tights is simply not going to do the job, as for a very small holed gauze, well it depends on your definition of small, if you can plainly see each hole in the gauze then they're probably too big.

The animal fats will appear anyway, as they use to oil to cook meat products.
            Then there's the issue of acidity (as mentioned by ssray), this should really be checked on each batch. Although excess acidity won't prevent it performing fine as a fuel, it will cause damage to all manner of internal components, from fuel lines to pump and injectors. Naturally as the pump is the most expensive component it will tend to suffer first.
            Deacidifying usually involves water washing, although there are other methods.

Using old veg-oil is not a simple process which is why most opt to use new oil, or if using old oil to convert it into biodiesel

There are plenty of forums on the net for running on wvo (waste vegetable oil), have a look around before you take the plunge.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

cheers for the info. acidity never came to my mind. ive been trying to think but cannot work out why its acidity would change.. ? whats the rating on normal fuel, and normal veg oil?

i have not seen 'set' veg oil. im not sure how much of a top layer to expect.

im going to be mixing with diesel still, so will the thicker stuff still be ok? if its this much grief to get 20 litres for 2 weeks then ill go down makro and buy their 20 litres for less than a tenner.
              cheers
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

As Morr said Tony, be carefull, unless you know how to filter/clean it properly
                i'd stick with new oil, still cheaper, guy i got my bars from in preston buggered his pump up useing ex resturant oil, reccons it cost him £2000
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                  As Morr said Tony, be carefull, unless you know how to filter/clean it properly
                  i'd stick with new oil, still cheaper, guy i got my bars from in preston buggered his pump up useing ex resturant oil, reccons it cost him £2000
                  what for a pump?
                  cheers for the advice - i think i will take it.
                  Last edited by dieselboy; 31 May 2007, 17:25. Reason: pressed submit by mistake because im a div
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I read on my truck forum of people using coffee filters to filter the oil before adding that stuff they put in to make (proper) bio diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                      I read on my truck forum of people using coffee filters to filter the oil before adding that stuff they put in to make (proper) bio diesel.
                      its a shame its not that simple. or else its free fuel
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Some one once said they filtered it through socks, i'd have thought old tight's would have been better,
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

....cannot work out why its acidity would change.....
                          The oil picks up "free fatty acids" from the food cooked in it.

Used oil is also more viscous as the heating process turns some of it into hydrogenated oil. IIRC this in itself can increase the acidity.

Even if its not palm oil (solid at room temp) most oils become thicker with use both thru hydrogenation and contamination, and may become partly solid at room temperature, hence the clearer, thinner "good" oil at the top, with thicker, lower quality (certainly from a fuel perspective) oil below.
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Heres a really nice filtration system http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=2551 the plans are only £45 but i checked and the pump he is using is £400 ish.
                            http://www.mearesolutions.co.uk/ are a good source of filtration and you can ring for advice.

you can filter the big bits out with any gauze/coffee filters/blue jeans/toilet rolls etc but as your oe diesel filter filters to approx 10 micron you should try and get it to that before putting it through the more expensive oe filter-some of the inserts from mere solutions are only a couple of quid, you could do a multi stage filter system for not a lot, the housings (10 inch) are less than £20 each and you could put say 40 micron then 25 micron then 10 micron.

then you only need to check its acidity level.

Comment

thanks for all your help. i dont think ill go down that road of waste oil now.
                              didnt realise it was this involved
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X