Permanent 4 Wheel Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent 4 Wheel Drive?

SWMBO fancies a MPV to accommodate daughters, grandkids and shopping etc. Whilst looking at this and that I noticed that some Toyota Lucida / Estimas are permanently engaged in 4 wheel drive. I was under the impression that this causes damage if driving on tarmac or non slippery surfaces for some distance.

Did a Google search and found these answers:-

Permanent four wheel drive sends torque to all four wheels on a continuous basis. There is no option for two wheel drive but the driver can usually choose a high or low mode depending on the driving conditions.

The motor vehicle comprises a first driven axle coupled by means of a transmission shaft to a second axle which includes two half-shafts between which is interposed a differential, and a controlled coupling device interposed between this differential and one half-shaft of the second axle, and an electronic control unit ECU arranged to control the said coupling device in such a way as to control the transfer of torque from the transmission shaft to this half-shaft in a predetermined manner.

I get the gist of it, but to cut a long story short, does this just mean an ECU controls the torque to each wheel allowing it to run in permant 4WD?
    Last edited by Scorpion; 27 May 2007, 12:23.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Yep.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Not really. I just know Im not going to explain this very well, but it means you have a centre diff, which takes care of the differential motions between front and rear. That is in addition to the front and rear diffs which take care of the differntial movements between the wheels on each side
      Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
      X