Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I join the darkside?

Hi guys,

I'm a newby to the site so hello everyone and let me start by saying Brilliant site and if i'm turned will definately be paying a subscription.

During uni (2 years ago) I was the proud owner of a series 3 Landy and you could not wipe the smile only those lucky enough to drive a 4x4 have. During a trip to Cornwall she breathed her last breath under my ownership in the sainsburys carpark at Bodmin. Due to lack of funds as a student repair was out of the question and she was taken away from me after an insanely quick sale on ebay.

Since then I've been driving a nice quick little old school civic which I love but now with a reliable financial income I'm getting the 4x4 twitch every time I see one. I surf a lot and often see you guys looking all smug on the beach and seeing as I now have a commute the landy is out of the question I've began to fall in love with the indestructable Toyotas specifically the Surfs.

I'm after some general advice from those who can remember when they first set out down the road so to speak. I've looked at insurance (23 yr old, driving 5 years, no points or accidents and 1 years no claims) and it's about the same as my Civic at 750 (there's not much difference between the 2.4 & 3. I'm looking to spend 3 to 4k and my only scare is the consumption but I guess at the end of the day I'm not buying a mini, guess I was spoiled by the 40 mpg of the landy though I was limited to 55mph!

I hear mixed things about the 2.4 and their engines, what about the automatics, do they add any worries? I'm quite keen on getting my hands dirty re servicing and such as well, are they simple beasts? Anyway I'm sure none of you are still reading this so I'll stop now and challenge you to make me buy one.

Cheers

Chris
    here's to new horizons

Originally posted by chrissyboy
    Hi guys,

I'm a newby to the site so hello everyone and let me start by saying Brilliant site and if i'm turned will definately be paying a subscription.

During uni (2 years ago) I was the proud owner of a series 3 Landy and you could not wipe the smile only those lucky enough to drive a 4x4 have. During a trip to Cornwall she breathed her last breath under my ownership in the sainsburys carpark at Bodmin. Due to lack of funds as a student repair was out of the question and she was taken away from me after an insanely quick sale on ebay.

Since then I've been driving a nice quick little old school civic which I love but now with a reliable financial income I'm getting the 4x4 twitch every time I see one. I surf a lot and often see you guys looking all smug on the beach and seeing as I now have a commute the landy is out of the question I've began to fall in love with the indestructable Toyotas specifically the Surfs.

I'm after some general advice from those who can remember when they first set out down the road so to speak. I've looked at insurance (23 yr old, driving 5 years, no points or accidents and 1 years no claims) and it's about the same as my Civic at 750 (there's not much difference between the 2.4 & 3. I'm looking to spend 3 to 4k and my only scare is the consumption but I guess at the end of the day I'm not buying a mini, guess I was spoiled by the 40 mpg of the landy though I was limited to 55mph!

I hear mixed things about the 2.4 and their engines, what about the automatics, do they add any worries? I'm quite keen on getting my hands dirty re servicing and such as well, are they simple beasts? Anyway I'm sure none of you are still reading this so I'll stop now and challenge you to make me buy one.

Cheers

Chris
    You have the dosh for a 3l so go for it , also the autos are good even off road where they perform very well

have a read here for buying advice
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Oh and a pic of me playing on the plain
    Last edited by Woodzie; 22 May 2007, 20:29.
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Nah, you don't want a Surf, they're rubbish!

Always breaking down, things blowing up, things falling off, catching fire etc. etc....

Just ask Auldnick.

Comment

eh woodzie did you tell him that tomfoolery broke yours and shouldnt be attemted?!?!?!?!?

but seriously i've had mine nearly 6 months now and i have found it indestructible... i have an auto 2.4 2nd gen, stay away from the 3rd gens - unless your are going to become a hairdresser......

go for it they will pay for them selves in the end and stay here the guys are all nice and friendly adn remember if you do get one always wave and honk and flash at other surfers
        Last edited by graham78; 22 May 2007, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by graham78
          eh woodzie did you tell him that tomfoolery broke yours and shouldnt be attemted?!?!?!?!?

but seriously i've had mine nearly 6 months now and i have found it indestructible... i have an auto 2.4 2nd gen, stay away from the 3rd gens - unless your are going to become a hairdresser......

go for it they will pay for them selves in the end and stay here the guys are all nice and friendly adn remember if you do get one always wave and honk and flash at other surfers

It only killed the (rotten)side steps ......All other repairs following that were known about.....BUT IT WAS FUN
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

that was quick you lurking out there - or keeping an eye on the missus???

Comment

Originally posted by graham78
              that was quick you lurking out there - or keeping an eye on the missus???
              A quick lurk......off to work now
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Hi geezer

My Surf spent most of it's time with me off road !!!!!!!!!!

(as in Broken down)

I've owned dozens of motors including landrovers over the years but have to admit for some very strange and peculiar reason I find I cannot prize my fingers away from the $$$$$$ thing.

It's fixed now for how long I don't know but once you get the bug it's hard to break. I have been unlucky most guys have little major trouble.

I think it's a lot of motor for little cash even if you end up in the unfortunate position of needing a new head of even an engine rebuild.

Mines a 2.4 Auto love it need to drive it when ever possible.
                Go for the 3ltr and drive slow the fuel consumption is about the same anyway.

Happy hunting

Cheers JB
                www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Yeah, steer clear of the 2.4 unless it's got documented new uprated head fitted, and all the usual stuff fixed, and it's cheap.

Go for the 3.0ltr 2nd gen.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

guess I was spoiled by the 40 mpg of the landy though I was limited to 55mph!

40 MPG????? jesus i was getting about 16 -18 mpg dont buy a surf they are allways needing money spent on them ie lifts,wheels ,snorkels

if you must get one get the 3.0 td in greeen of course
                    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

hi and welcome to surf emporium of pleasure,there are a few things you should do first,the main one being never listen to joker. but get yourself a 2nd gen 3.0ltr in black and you will never look back.let the grin begin.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                        guess I was spoiled by the 40 mpg of the landy though I was limited to 55mph!

40 MPG????? jesus i was getting about 16 -18 mpg dont buy a surf they are allways needing money spent on them ie lifts,wheels ,snorkelsl

Heads, radiators springs, shocks, steering dampers, fuel pumps, steering idlers, tailgate motors, alternators, turbo's and the list goes on!
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                          Heads, radiators springs, shocks, steering dampers, fuel pumps, steering idlers, tailgate motors, alternators, turbo's and the list goes on!
                          hmmmm didnt want to scare him that much

surfenstein [mark] knows i talk sense v8 @ black s h i t if im in one like that i hope its a hearse itsb the only way i wont complain
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                            hmmmm didnt want to scare him that much

surfenstein [mark] knows i talk sense v8 @ black s h i t if im in one like that i hope its a hearse itsb the only way i wont complain
                            She's obviously let you out for five. Time to put it back on Dave.

Comment

Welcome to the darkside, once you've thought about it there's no going back

Did i mention we have cookies

Got to be a 2nd Gen 3L in BLUE though
                              Onwards Binky

Comment

Working...
                              X