cracked head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked head

I am in the process of buying a 3.0 surf.
    I cannot remember seeing on of these I have never driven or been in a hilux.
    Never the less i have made a deal and bought one sight unseen.
    I have been reading up on the web and the biggest topic seems to be overheating and cracked heads. Is it really that big an issue and does it happen to a lot of surfs ?
    I find it hard to believe Toyota could get it wrong.
    What is the best fix for a cracked head, I am a toolmaker and it seems to me the head could be Tig welded and re-machined.
    I also found a us website for a wonder cure for $35 you pour in the rad and it fixes cracked heads and blown gaskets !
    Thanks to the responses and keep them coming.

Originally posted by patzx12
    I have been reading up on the web and the biggest topic seems to be overheating and cracked heads. Is it really that big an issue and does it happen to a lot of surfs ?
    What is the best fix for a cracked head, I am a toolmaker and it seems to me the head could be Tig welded and re-machined.
    I also found a us website for a wonder cure for $35 you pour in the rad and it fixes cracked heads and blown gaskets !
    dont worry about cracked heads, 3.0 are normally ok, as for the wonder cure leave it where it is
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by patzx12
      You'll see plenty now you've got one, brave man buyimg sight unseen, good luck.
      3.0 heads seem less inclined to go than 2.4's so no worries.
      Toyota do get things wrong, search for V6 petrol headgaskets, 2.4 cylinder heads, supra headgaskets, etc!
      You could fix a head like that, as long as the crack is some where easy to get at, usually crack between the valves, so new seats/valve job needed, whole heads are getting cheaper, see Koi's posts, dunno if its worth the effort.
      The crack cure is leading suspect for alot of cracked heads that appear on thwese shores, as so many seem to go a few weeks after people start using then daily.

I would'nt worry, must have got a good deal to buy it like that. Just enjoy it,

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

you've not been in one ever? give us the love story .... this is the place for it. Ians right theres feckall experience of cracked heads on the 3 ltrs so relax. Cant figure why you want one, maybe your like me, had NEVER been in one either, saw one or two round the place then she says she likes the one in the Autotrader, then I pass one for sale at the roadside in Cork, I test it, it sucks, and I buy it.

Comment

3.0LTD- you made the right choice there regards cracked heads.

HOWEVER there is no excuse not to mantain your engine as it should be looked after. Change the coolant as soon as you get the car and then at least every two years (as per Toyota's own service schedule).

How many head failures reported on this forum are due to years of neglect by the previous owner?

Remember that all import 2.4L diesel engines are now at least 11 years old. You're not buying a new car! How many do you think will have had the coolant changed 5 times since new.....

PS do not not take ANY dealer's word that coolant change has been done- just DIY to be sure.

Comment

Thanks guy's
            I firt saw the hilux surf on ebay 2 weeks ago and I could not get it out of my head. It reminds me of my big v8 buicks and oldsmobiles we had in the states.
            I am a good engineer and I have a toolmaking and injection moilding company in the west of ire.
            I love tinkering and I will enjoy maintaining this hilux.
            I am like a kid at christmas waiting for santi.
            When I get it sorted I will post the info and some pic,s.
            I want to use this 4x4 as god intended so when i am up and running I want to meet other surf owners for a few pints and a bulls--t session.
            As for love this will be attempted and evaluated.

Comment

well shoe

us some pickies
              S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.fn02jwa
                us some pickies
                S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Working...