No announcement yet.

Calling All Truckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANC do in house training to C+E, but you might have to move to Stoke-on Trent, then you could do parcel trunking

Comment

I went to my local Travis Perkins and i do half 7 to half 4 five days a week. As i have my class 1, HIAB and dangerous goods they snatched me up. Though they only have 3 wagons. A ten and a half tonner with crane, a seven and a half tonner with crane and an isuzu nkr tipper. I also have counterbalance and reach forklift licenses so i can be used in the yard too.

And as i only do 9 hours a day and Travis give an hour lunch, it breaks down nicely. 3 hours takes it to half ten. Then have about half hour break. Then next 3 hours takes it to about 2, thats when i have have my hours lunch. Then you only got a couple hours left in the working day, and usually only 1 more delivery for me cos i go like greased weasel $$$$, which is why they call me the Falmouth flyer . Tachos are easy once you get used to them, just remember to set it to what you are doing i.e. rest, work, other duties, break. If you get a good place to work, someone should be able to show ya.

Comment

Work for an agency and one of the companies will soon snap you up if your on the ball. go at yer own pace and enjoy.

Trying too hard used to cause most mistakes like leaving the axle up when fully loaded and down when empty, forgetting to put the rear lens covers on the trailer youve just picked up etc.

look out for the imigrants jumping out the side of your curtain sider on leaving the docs!

Cheers JB
        www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Hi mate. I am a class one driver. Had my licence since 1993. Spent 8 years as a driver in the Army and the rest of the time driving class one.

Right, as you only have a class 2 I would suggest the following.

Try and get a job at the local builders merchants, plant hire and similar. DO NOT drive tippers. You will find that they pay by the load, and that's why the drivers of tippers are kn*bs, as they are ragging it all over just to make some decent cash.

Multi drop is also a nightmare, so don't go for that either, as you will get stressed out very quickly and it will soon loose it's apeal.

Drivers hours are very complicated now. Basicaly you have to comply with a 48hr week that is averaged over a certain time period. Usualy 17 or 26 weeks. You can only work 60 hours maximum a week, but the extra time has to be made up. POA and rest does not count in this these time limits.

You WILL need to apply for a digital tacho card!! As if a company owns new trucks, you wont be able to drive them if you haven't got one as they will be fitted with the new digital tacho. Be aware that once you do have the card, you will have to carry it on you at ALL TIMES, even if a company doesn't have any digital tachos in it's fleet.

Read this to get a heads up on the hours rules.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/

If you need any more info then feel free to get in touch.

Andy

Comment

Some good info there, Cheers Andy !
            !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

tipper work is the most boring thing i've ever done!!... back and forward to load and tip over and over again!.... constantly overloaded cos there's no weighing gear in the motor (had 39,700Kg last week!!(it's a 32tonner))

low loader work is good, but you have to know how to drive plant (it's not rocket science, but people give up when they get scared!)... you get covered in mud if it's site work.

i've worked for scottish courage which was ok... different place every day and the most work you have to do is opening the curtain, and it's good money.

my cousin works for Fergusons who seem pretty good and pay well for general work.

most important thing is, never believe the rumours of the bloke that earns 50 grand down the road... drivers are the biggest load of bullsh**ters around!!...

i'm thinking of changing to covert security and close protection.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i was chatting to a bloke who's a broadcast technician for FIA... they're always looking for drivers (apparently)... he's gonna have a word and find out the score!!

not exactly sure what he does (cos i was drunk)... something to do with satellites, sitting in a room with alonso, private jet to bahrain and a 4 week holiday in australia!... think i'll have to give him a ring to go over it again!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  i'm thinking of changing to covert security and close protection.
                  How the h**l are going to be covert ? you are as covert as an explosion in a paint factory - hi Matt
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                    How the h**l are going to be covert ? you are as covert as an explosion in a paint factory - hi Matt
                    i will be wearing a black lycra cat suit and bobble hat!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      i will be wearing a black lycra cat suit and bobble hat!
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant 1
                        After looking around, it seems that no one really wants to employ unless there is a few years experience. Maybe the agencies are the way to start to gain this. There seems to be so many different kinds out there and for different sectors. I guess its a matter of personal preferance at the end of the day. majority of you seem to have done a bit of everything and have your preferances so i guess its gonna be down to....................Me
                        get into an agency that does blue chip company's ie:- tesco / asda / woolworths etc(not easy but possible) that way you are working for & with people who dont normally break the law and more importantly dont ask you to break the law!!! just remember speed traps get trucks as well as cars
                        as you hit the traffic jams just remind yourself you get payed by the hour so even traffic jams earn you money

Originally posted by Deviant 1
                        i havent a clue as to what im letting myself in for ! The only thing i know is......................i like bacon, eggs, sausages, fried bread & Coffee ! ITS A START !!!!!!
                        yeah so is diabetes and heart attacks
                        just try and keep your weight down as you may be pulling your b alls off but still put weight on & try a balanced diet
                        12 months down the road when you weigh 3 stone more than now you will wonder why when you worked 60 hour weeks and worked hard for every single hour but still put weight on
                        as for nights out and distance work i would leave that well alone until you have decided the job is for you
                        at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Cheers Matt I too have heard the stories of the 50k a year mark and these are the guys driving around in a 95 mondeo ! Im not chasing the money anyways, if i get it, then its a bonus i guess.

Shaggy: I have called the likes of Tesco, Asda Morrisons and others but they are not really within my reach. I would be looking at nerly an hour to get to work. Im close to a morrisons warehouse but they are not class 2.
                          As for the burgers and chips etc. I'll soon sicken myself ! I had a fry up 2nite and feel like $$$$ already ! Im not worried about as i could only manage a weeks english breakfast in the bnb i stayed at in blackpool a few years ago !!!!
                          !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X