X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Bushwacker

Hi mate, would you mind haveing a butchers at my pully? i think there is an
    imbalance in my harmonic balencer, a desturbance in the force,
    as ya can see there is a shiny semi circle like its been rubbing on summat but if it had surely the mark would be all the way round unless it was not running true, i mentioned this to Matt on his forum and he recconed it was worth doing what you did as it's off at the mo, only thing i was'nt clear on was the vice bit! is the bonded joint tapered then? so when ya squeeze it it presses together, i also noticed when i "tapped "it off (it came off quite easily BTW, i did'nt bash seven shades out of it) there was little puff's of dust comeing out from the bond, it feels well bonded by hand but that means nowt i guess, it's when the loads on that matters, so i thought four split pins or tapered cotter pins might help,
    What is the point of this bond? would'nt a solid pully be better? this thing is just asking to give way,
    Cheers ian

Too young to die and too old to give a toss

You'll probably find that it's been rubbing ever so slightly on the plastic engine/timing belt cover, as mine was the same when I took it off.

The rubber isn't tapered, just a flat band glued to the inner pulley.
    When they start to de-bond, they make a chirp noise like a lovesick budgie, as the outer pulley is rotating at a different speed to the inner part as they are basically driven by two different things. (outer pulley is driven by the alternator belts, the inner by the crank.)
    Don't do what I did an tighten the alternator belts too tight 'cos the glue I used didn't work and the split pins sheared as soon as I revved the engine!
    I've stitch welded the two parts of the pulley together in a couple off places, front and back now, and two days later, all is well.

I'm still refusing to pay 100 bucks for a bl00dy pulley!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      You'll probably find that it's been rubbing ever so slightly on the plastic engine/timing belt cover, as mine was the same when I took it off.

The rubber isn't tapered, just a flat band glued to the inner pulley.
      When they start to de-bond, they make a chirp noise like a lovesick budgie, as the outer pulley is rotating at a different speed to the inner part as they are basically driven by two different things. (outer pulley is driven by the alternator belts, the inner by the crank.)
      Don't do what I did an tighten the alternator belts too tight 'cos the glue I used didn't work and the split pins sheared as soon as I revved the engine!
      I've stitch welded the two parts of the pulley together in a couple off places, front and back now, and two days later, all is well.

I'm still refusing to pay 100 bucks for a bl00dy pulley!!!
      I thought of welding over the bond, was'nt sure about putting it out of ballance tho, or how it'd affect this harmonic cr@p, suppose any imbalance will only realy show up if ya cane it,
      So if i made up four smallish plate's of equal size and welded em accross the bond at equal points it should'nt be too far out, maybe four at the back as well, see what i can fix up, yep lot of dosh for a pully i aggree
      cheers mate.

Comment

surely there must be some in the s$$$$pers.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
          surely there must be some in the s$$$$pers.
          None here at the breakers ....the front of the engine is always trashed
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

eermm, you guys do know the whole point of the balancer is to stop the crankshaft tearing itself to bits at high rpms?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              eermm, you guys do know the whole point of the balancer is to stop the crankshaft tearing itself to bits at high rpms?

On a diesel?

Well if it all goes t*ts up, then i'll be time for the quad cam V8 install.

Anyone want a full leather interior from a Lexus, 300 quid?

Comment

Well ermmm no! $hite i dont know what to do now, could well do without spending over a ton for a newun,

The ones i'm used to had a starting handle dog on em
                So when they part wot exactly happens? it wont make the fan hit the rad will it? just that the belts aint running a proper speed right? if so and it aint parted yet i think stuff it i'll just stick it back on and see how it goes, although while it stripped and all!!!!! oh bugga

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  On a diesel?

Well if it all goes t*ts up, then i'll be time for the quad cam V8 install.

Anyone want a full leather interior from a Lexus, 300 quid?
                  Thats easy for you to say, quam cod V8 aint got two of em i suppose?

Comment

At the risk of depressing you further, if its slipping, it won't be driving the water pump at engine rpms, and a underdriven water pump = cooling system not working at optimum, which on a 2.4 = possible ££££'s if it gets to hot.

IMHO, its not a part you want to fail, stop buying paint and buy a pully!

Originally posted by ian619
                    Well ermmm no! $hite i dont know what to do now, could well do without spending over a ton for a newun,

So when they part wot exactly happens? it wont make the fan hit the rad will it? just that the belts aint running a proper speed right? if so and it aint parted yet i think stuff it i'll just stick it back on and see how it goes, although while it stripped and all!!!!! oh bugga
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by ian619

When mine origially parted, it wore a hole in the plastic cam belt cover, and the fan was rubbing on my shiney new rad!

Oh, and the electric fan came on 'cos the viscous fan had stopped turning.

Comment

At the risk of depressing you further, if its slipping, it won't be driving the water pump at engine rpms, and a underdriven water pump = cooling system not working at optimum, which on a 2.4 = possible ££££'s if it gets to hot.

IMHO, its not a part you want to fail, stop buying paint and buy a pully!

Yup i know ya right! it's just i'm not even sure if it's failing, all i got is a shiney bit and a couple puffs when i tapped it, but yes £100 may be money well spent, so think it's a new one then
                        Oh! the roughtrax pully is a goodun i take it?

Comment

Working...
                        X