Mahindra Indian Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahindra Indian Chief

Have discovered in a mates garage a mahindra indian chief, looking for a bit of help getting it back on the road as looks like it could be a bit of fun.

At the moment electrics seem to work but wont turn over, after waiting for the glowplug relay to click turn the key and just get a click. Will this just be starter contacts?

How easy is a new clutch master cylinder to fit as clutch pedal sits on the floor all the time and even when lifted falls back to floor?

Also are the handbrakes hidden on these things as cant find it and looked everywhere

Last edited by ABE; 17 May 2007, 02:15. Reason: to add pic
    www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Nice to see one in its natural habitat
    ionic SURFactant

Comment

Nice little "project" wish i had the time and money
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ye should be interesting getting it back on road

been reading up on them on the internet. they dont seem to be up to much apart from a toy but will wait and see have to get it running first. Hopefully all it needs is new starter contacts (I think)
        www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

Well i guess it dont have to be "up to much" it looks a fun thing, i very nearly went for a four track, dihatsu (?) in a moment of madness, glad i did'nt as i got enough with this bl00dy surf, i saw a nice willeys jeep in asda car park few weeks back, ex US army 2nd ww, olive drab, jerry can, shovel, the lot, would have loved that, it'd make yer arse sore on a long trip tho, no upholstry
          to speak of, guess that was so they could hose the blood out
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Update on The mahindra

Managed to get engine turning but not fast enough to catch

Like when the battery is flat so thought it would start of a jump from the surf still the same. checked oil and it was fine so engine hasn't seized.

Any ideas welcome?
            www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

how exciting!
              so if engine has oil, and water, it could be turning slow because of old age? eg bad starter?

how about clamping the jump leads more closer to the starter. i think leave the earths on the metal parts of the engines, and clamp the live on the battery of the surf and on either the alternator or the starter motor - im not sure.
              if you have a battery surge protector put this on your surf.

hand brake? is it a foot pedal one? or is it a handle like ours?

if you attempt to try starting it again, may be heat the glow plugs more than once to try and get them as hot as poss.
              then prepare for loads of smoke
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

just want to check that I am trying to jump start correctly (works other times I have jumped things but just want to check) : surf + to mahindra +, surf - to clean bit of metal on mahindra engine, start surf then try and start mahindra

Found handbrake it is right under the where the bonnet and fuel door release is on the surf but deeper in.

How easy is a starter motor to service to get it up to scratch?
                www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

the way i was taught was pos+ to pos+ and engine metal to engine metal. but if your battery has crud on it it might be whats making it turn over slowly. why i suggested plugging the pos+ on the mahindra may be on the alternator on the starter itself if poss. but if anyone has any objections...
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

just make sure you get a good earth on the engine and perhaps disconnect the mahindra battery as it's most proabably draining all the power as it's FUBAR
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by steved
                      Nice to see one in its natural habitat
                      lol
                      The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        disconnect the mahindra battery as it's most proabably draining all the power as it's FUBAR

as above.....BATTERY!! BATTERY!! all together now B A T T E R Y !!!!

i thank ya'll

small petrol car battery around 32ah, you need a least 48ah for good old diesil ya'll
                        Last edited by huff_diggler; 29 May 2007, 20:09.
                        The benchmark....

Comment

I reliase what you are all saying about the battery, but

why wouldn't it start with a jump of the surf? (2 batterys in series)

also jump to the starter direct is a temp solution what would the long term be? ie. replacing wiring? new starter? from the looks of it it has had a new starter solenoid.
                          www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

will it turn over from the surf? is the starter making any noise? i.e solanoid engaging? or starter turning with out engaging? (sounds like a elec motor turning like a quiet drill)

is the ignition relay clicking? do you have ignition lights? i.e dash lights, oil light, handbrake light ect...
                            The benchmark....

Comment

Working...
                            X