lifted surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyppe
    well i just called my local 4x4 place - the only place ive seen that does 4x4s and they told me they only do landrovers!
    who can i get to wind up the tortion bars and fit new shocks?
    The torSion bars are easy. Jack up front so wheels off the ground. Get under truck with a big spanner and wind the bolts up to suit. Try 5 turns at a time until you reach the height you need.

Beware, too many makes the front bouncy, so balljoint spacers are probably a good bet for 2"plus.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

thanks for the reading material.
      i will look on the websites to see how much cash i have to save to get the 4 corners 2" sprung lifted,
      and then total up how much to do a body lift.

ive thought, since im raising the ride height, in turn making the centre of gravity heigher, is it worth using wheel spacers on my 16" landcruiser wheels.
      i keep imagining im turning a square into a tall rectangle if that makes sense...
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        The torSion bars are easy. Jack up front so wheels off the ground. Get under truck with a big spanner and wind the bolts up to suit. Try 5 turns at a time until you reach the height you need.

Beware, too many makes the front bouncy, so balljoint spacers are probably a good bet for 2"plus.

You'll need diff drop spacers too otherwise the CV angles will increase with the B/J spacers.

Vatch!

Comment

thanks for the reading material.
          i will look on the websites to see how much cash i have to save to get the 4 corners 2" sprung lifted,
          and then total up how much to do a body lift.

ive thought, since im raising the ride height, in turn making the centre of gravity heigher, is it worth using wheel spacers on my 16" landcruiser wheels.
          i keep imagining im turning a square into a tall rectangle if that makes sense...
          Depends what you want it for. You're never gonna generate g-force cornering so I wouldn't worry too much about the CoG. However, it will look more balanced with wider track or tyres if you lift it significantly.

All I can say is mine doesn't handle significantly differently since doing the lifts, but then, I dont try to drive it like a sportscar. It's cool being able see over most hedges, walls and traffic though.

Comment

Depends what you want it for. You're never gonna generate g-force cornering so I wouldn't worry too much about the CoG. However, it will look more balanced with wider track or tyres if you lift it significantly.

All I can say is mine doesn't handle significantly differently since doing the lifts, but then, I dont try to drive it like a sportscar. It's cool being able see over most hedges, walls and traffic though.
            i can generate plenty of GGGGGGsssss,going round corners,but its only bit me once,now i know when the back end is going to break away,but it is cool being so high up,gives you a commanding driving position.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
              i can generate plenty of GGGGGGsssss,going round corners,but its only bit me once,now i know when the back end is going to break away,but it is cool being so high up,gives you a commanding driving position.
              Yeah, but thats cos you've got three times the power the rest of us have got! (except for the 2.4s where you've got about 300 times )

I think you mean you generate "JEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, but thats cos you've got three times the power the rest of us have got! (except for the 2.4s where you've got about 300 times )

I think you mean you generate "JEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!"
                hehehehe,yea brown trouser moments,im so gutted i didnt get to take it to wales.some lovely twisty roads up there.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

saying that - ive had a few sideways moments. the first was where i just put my foot down turning left and then i had to counter steer to straighten up. the 2nd was a bit scary, i wasnt sure how the car was going to react to the slight bumps in the road on the roundabout and it was raining still. the 3rd was on the way home just now when everyone waited for everyone to go so no one went. i just put my foot down again. - this is rare.
                  its not like my previous car, when that went i could control how far out it went with the accellerator and pretty much all the time it would fish tail the other way too.

for the lifting reasons, i mainly have seen your photos from wales and want to make my car suited for that. the front needs doing anyway, so thought might aswel do it propperly and then just lift the back to suit.

if i only wanted to go 2" on the front, will i have to use BJ spacers?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

saying that - ive had a few sideways moments. the first was where i just put my foot down turning left and then i had to counter steer to straighten up. the 2nd was a bit scary, i wasnt sure how the car was going to react to the slight bumps in the road on the roundabout and it was raining still. the 3rd was on the way home just now when everyone waited for everyone to go so no one went. i just put my foot down again. - this is rare.
                    its not like my previous car, when that went i could control how far out it went with the accellerator and pretty much all the time it would fish tail the other way too.

for the lifting reasons, i mainly have seen your photos from wales and want to make my car suited for that. the front needs doing anyway, so thought might aswel do it propperly and then just lift the back to suit.

if i only wanted to go 2" on the front, will i have to use BJ spacers?
                    so are we talking about a body lift or suspension lift,it might be easier for you to let me know now rather than me reading through the whole thread to get the answer.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

so are we talking about a body lift or suspension lift,it might be easier for you to let me know now rather than me reading through the whole thread to get the answer.
                      no problem. i feel the same somtimes.
                      right, my front has sagged. the shocks need doing sometime soon also. rathen than go to standard - might aswell give a bit of suspension lift so i thought.

i see other peoples trucks and they have done the 2" plus the 1.5 or 2" body lift aswel. aparently the body lifts are cheap and easy for a 1.5" or 2" only. so after i get the suspension sorted, then i will get the body done
                      p.s. i am trying to do it on a tight budget but also want to do stuff properly (if that makes sense, eg. im not going to do half jobs that might cause problems later)
                      p.s. ps. i have mechanical knowledge, but have never done this before.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

no problem. i feel the same somtimes.
                        right, my front has sagged. the shocks need doing sometime soon also. rathen than go to standard - might aswell give a bit of suspension lift so i thought.

i see other peoples trucks and they have done the 2" plus the 1.5 or 2" body lift aswel. aparently the body lifts are cheap and easy for a 1.5" or 2" only. so after i get the suspension sorted, then i will get the body done
                        p.s. i am trying to do it on a tight budget but also want to do stuff properly (if that makes sense, eg. im not going to do half jobs that might cause problems later)
                        p.s. ps. i have mechanical knowledge, but have never done this before.
                        ok so just get some +1" pro comp shocks,es9000 or es3000 i think these work out at something like £35 each.and wind the torsion bars up.its that easy.what have you got on the rear???
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

ok so just get some +1" pro comp shocks,es9000 or es3000 i think these work out at something like £35 each.and wind the torsion bars up.its that easy.what have you got on the rear???
                          i got blue springs and white shocks
                          i could text javars ~(former member) and ask. but i dont know if he would mind, i bought the truck in febuary and ive still got his number.
                          he said they are uprated standard height springs, and uprated shocks.

what you said sounds good, as long as i wont get problems. i have read that since mine have gone a bit limp up front, will i have to keep on adjusting more and more frequently here after?

thanks mate.
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i got blue springs and white shocks
                            i could text javars ~(former member) and ask. but i dont know if he would mind, i bought the truck in febuary and ive still got his number.
                            he said they are uprated standard height springs, and uprated shocks.

what you said sounds good, as long as i wont get problems. i have read that since mine have gone a bit limp up front, will i have to keep on adjusting more and more frequently here after?

thanks mate.
                            sounds like you may have the 20% stronger springs.find out what rear shocks you have.fit the new front shocks when you get them and adjust the ride height via the torsion bars and that should be it,no more adjustments to be made.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              Oops!

I'll get them sent tomorrow.
                              I didn't rush 'cos you said you were going overseas.
                              I am, so still no hurry, I'm just getting comments about being lazy from the coalman........

Any time in early June is fine mate.
                              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

well i just called my local 4x4 place - the only place ive seen that does 4x4s and they told me they only do landrovers!
                                who can i get to wind up the tortion bars and fit new shocks?
                                Not sure if Tony can help, he can only sort out TORSION bars.....
                                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                                X