Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem

Hi All

2 weeks ago I had my timing belt replaced at Toyota, when I picked my truck up, the engineer said that one of my glow plugs needed replacing as I have to give it a little rev when I turn it over, to get it going in the mornings. Even so, it would catch to turn over after about one second. (if you know what I mean). Anyway, I took it to my local garage for a service last week and I thought that I would have all 4 (is it right that there are 4 glow plugs?) glow plugs replaced at the same time to be on the safe side (glow plugs bought from Milners). Now when I try and start her in the mornings, it is as if she is labouring to start for at least 5-10 seconds before she catches and fires up and it is as if there is not enough power (Batteries Fine)! It is now very worrying because I don't know whether she is going to start at all. Do I go back to the garage and complain, because before the glow plug change she fired up immediately?

Thanks In Advance
    [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Originally posted by The Griff
    Hi All

2 weeks ago I had my timing belt replaced at Toyota, when I picked my truck up, the engineer said that one of my glow plugs needed replacing as I have to give it a little rev when I turn it over, to get it going in the mornings. Even so, it would catch to turn over after about one second. (if you know what I mean). Anyway, I took it to my local garage for a service last week and I thought that I would have all 4 (is it right that there are 4 glow plugs?) glow plugs replaced at the same time to be on the safe side (glow plugs bought from Milners). Now when I try and start her in the mornings, it is as if she is labouring to start for at least 5-10 seconds before she catches and fires up and it is as if there is not enough power (Batteries Fine)! It is now very worrying because I don't know whether she is going to start at all. Do I go back to the garage and complain, because before the glow plug change she fired up immediately?

Thanks In Advance
    go back to the garage as they are not working at all now, sounds like they might have the connection wrong on the manifold and it has blown the fuse
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
      go back to the garage as they are not working at all now, sounds like they might have the connection wrong on the manifold and it has blown the fuse

Agree with Ian, 80A fuse blown plugs not working.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thanks for the info chaps.

Would the glow plug light on the dash still come on even if the 80A fuse has blown? I have just dropped it back off at the garage and told him what I have learnt and he said that there are no wires to the manifold and there was just a bar across. Does anyone know what he means???
        Last edited by The Griff; 11 February 2004, 16:00.
        [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

Comment

Would the glow plug light on the dash still come on even if the 80A fuse has blown? I have just dropped it back off at the garage and told him what I have learnt and he said that there are no wires to the manifold and there was just a bar across. Does anyone know what he means???
          In that case, that is the problem. There are 2 wires to the manifold where the glowplug bus bar connects to it. On of them supplies the eart feed, the other the live feed. You need to make sure that the one that supplies the power (which has a ring terminal on the end) is fitted in such a way that it connects to the bus bar but not the manifold. This is achieved using the plastic spacer that should be fitted under and on top of the bus bar before the nut is tightened. An easy mistake to make is to end up with the power feed permanantly connected to the manifold which is earthed via the engine earth strap. This shorts the circuit causing the 80A fuse to blow and it's a pain to change requiring you to unbolt the fuse box and bolt it in from below.

Cheers

Cheers

Comment

Yes the glow plug light does still come on even if the fuse has blown, and as Andy says the two wires connect to the buzz bar where it is bolted down to the manifold.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

The garage are saying that the feed to the glow plugs is OK. He said that there is only 1 wire. He says that the problem could be a faulty glow plug. What is the chances of this this happening? The glow plugs were brand new from Milners. Now he says it is my fault as I gave him faulty glow plugs. Where do I go from here I wonder???

Comment

The garage are saying that the feed to the glow plugs is OK. He said that there is only 1 wire. He says that the problem could be a faulty glow plug. What is the chances of this this happening? The glow plugs were brand new from Milners. Now he says it is my fault as I gave him faulty glow plugs. Where do I go from here I wonder???

No two wires one has a round terminal goes over the threaded bolt off the manifold, the second (earth) has a spade terminal end and slots on to the male terminal.
                I doubt if one plug would cause that bad a starting, as you have stated before it struggled for a second then fired up before, it was the grease monkey who said one plug had gone, so if one plug has gone or is faulty now it shouldn't be any worse than before!!!!!!!!!!.
                Has the fuse actually been checked???
                Still think the washer assembly has been put back wrong or the second wire hasn't been attached.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

plugs

is it ok on power not sluggish at all when running im just thinking does the belt drive the pump if so is it out a notch on the pump timimg when they replaced belt worth a check
                  black n tan
                  black n tan
                  yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Hi

Power seems OK not sluggish. The starting problem only occured the morning after the glow plugs were replaced, fired up lovely before that. I did not notice the problem when I picked the car up from the garage because the car was already warm and only noticed it from the first start-up from cold.

Comment

Diy

Sadly it looks like one of those jobs that you're going to have to do yourself to get it right. I changed mine and sorted the wiring out cos that was incorrect - took my time - plenty of cups of coffee and biscuits - but I know it's right.

There's plenty of great info on here - and it is as easy to do as petrol engine spark plugs.

What a pity that the level of garage mechanics seems to be declining.

Rob

Comment

Got it back yesterday, all is well with the truck. The mechanic said that there was a loose earth to the battery which must have been done when the timing belt was changed 2 weeks ago (Yeah Right!). It's funny how it only started playing up the day after he changed the glow plugs. And would it take a decent mechanic 2 days to find out that the battery had a loose earth???

I Think Not!!!

Cheers for all the helpful comments chaps.

Comment

Working...
                        X