LCD or Plasma wots the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD or Plasma wots the difference

As title , what is the difference and which is better . Looking for tv soon and have the chance of a wall mounted one . They all seem to vary from cheap to 'I need to sell a kidney' price but I dont know which to consider .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
    As title , what is the difference and which is better . Looking for tv soon and have the chance of a wall mounted one . They all seem to vary from cheap to 'I need to sell a kidney' price but I dont know which to consider .

Plasma is gas, and usually plasma TVs have a life of about 20,000 hours, they may be getting better, but they are more succeptable to 'burn' if you have an image on it for too long. LCD's don't have the same issues, but can have a slightly more grainy pic and might not have as high a refresh rate...

I've just bought a Sony Bravia 46" LCD and it is the nuts....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

INFO on here
      http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-the-...-TVs?&id=54922

Plasma and LCD TVs are the latest trend in home entertainment. Both offer unrivalled picture quality and resolution, while doing away with the bulkiness of the older rear-projection technologies. But with all of the hype surrounding these two types of televisions, what is the difference between them? Although they look- and are virtually priced- the same, they are not.

There differences are found in the way in which they display their pictures. Plasma TV technology is made up of hundreds of thousands of little pixels, each capable of displaying red, green, and blue colors. A plasma monitor often consists of two panels, which are filled with an inert gas, such as xenon or neon. When the pixels are excited by pulses of electricity, the gas becomes liquid, thus generating light. This light in turn then illuminates the pixels, causing them to display the appropriate color to form a picture.

LCD panels function in a very similar manner. A panel of thin-film-transmitters, or TFT, sends electricity to cells filled with liquid crystal. When the cells are struck by the electricity, the liquid crystals allow light to filter through. Unlike the pixels found in plasma TVs, LCD monitors create color by blocking out the appropriate wavelengths from white light.

So which is better? The answer to this question depends upon what you plan to use TV for. Do you just want to use it to watch movies and television? If so, then a plasma TV might be best, because they are capable of a higher better color saturation and contrast than their LCD counterparts and for displaying moving images. If you plan in spending a lot of time showing digital photography or plan on using the monitor with your computer, then a LCD display might be better suited to these purposes.

Both plasma and LCD technologies each have their advantages and disadvantages and your decision should ultimately be based on your monitor's application.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

I was investigating these a year or so back so some of this MIGHT be a little out of date

Plasma produces a better quality picture than LCD at the larger sizes - when I was looking the cutover was around 42" but it may have increased since then

LCD is cheaper to run from an electrical point of view

Plasma runs hotter than LCD and in theory won't last as long but the reality is that it's not that significant

After a huge amount of research I'd come down in favour of a 43" Pioneer Plasma and then came the bad news - it was £2800 so the whole plan got binned !

Hope that's of some use

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Thanks for replies . Just want to watch Sc rapheap Challenge in full size .

Comment

they reckon lcd's are better nowdays, its the usual you get what you pay for just bought an lcd for the bedroom today ,read up on the tv's first rick,
            got a large screen plasma on the front room wall aint got no complaints about it it was voted top plasma a couple of years ago
            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Thanks for replies . Just want to watch Sc rapheap Challenge in full size .
              I love that show - that would be my ideal job if I could play about doing that all day - SWMBO thinks it's rubbish....
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                I love that show - that would be my ideal job if I could play about doing that all day - SWMBO thinks it's rubbish....
                Keep saying I want to get a team together for it , but who to choose as team mates ?

Comment

My 42" LG had problems after 10 months losing channels etc, We got a full refund under the extended warranty & got a 42" Samsung HD ready with Freeview which the other had'nt. Both were PLASMA
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Keep saying I want to get a team together for it , but who to choose as team mates ?

Razorhoof has to be team leader!

Comment

Yourself Tonyn Bushwacker & the STEINMASTER
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        My 42" LG had problems after 10 months losing channels etc, We got a full refund under the extended warranty & got a 42" Samsung HD ready with Freeview which the other had'nt. Both were PLASMA
                        Can you wall mount that telly Marky? Tam wants one on the wall but must not be too far from wall surface , bit like a picture hanging on wall .

Comment

Lcd.

Comment

I bought this one recently...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ba.Toshiba.htm

Wall mounting brackets supplied with it. I think it's £200 off at the moment too!

Comment

Can you wall mount that telly Marky? Tam wants one on the wall but must not be too far from wall surface , bit like a picture hanging on wall .
                              We could but we like it were it is & we have stud wallsits HEAVY. I also have a 26" LCD Widescreen tv & a 15" LCD for the Caravan wich is in the Bedroom.
                              ARGOS have some good deals at the moment as Vince says.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X