Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 24Seven
    Serious Question

I don't really like the idea of an electronic system.

Could I just fit a mechanical isolator to the leisure battery, then when the truck is started switch in the leisure battery which would charge with the truck running?

I guess the danger would be if the leisure battery was flat, it could draw all the power from the starter battery if the truck was only driven for a short time maybe?
    Yes and probably. It would Be OK as long as you didn't deep-dishcharge the leisure battery.

What's wrong with an electronic system?

<edit> Hehe, I mean discharge, too much thinking about Pizzas?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Serious Question

I don't really like the idea of an electronic system.

Could I just fit a mechanical isolator to the leisure battery, then when the truck is started switch in the leisure battery which would charge with the truck running?

I guess the danger would be if the leisure battery was flat, it could draw all the power from the starter battery if the truck was only driven for a short time maybe?
      Yup. Mechanical or electrical makes no difference. One of those heavy duty battery isolator switches will do the job. If it is flat as a fart, it'd obviously need a decent charge putting back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Yes and probably. It would Be OK as long as you didn't deep-dishcharge the leisure battery.

<edit> Hehe, I mean discharge, too much thinking about Pizzas?

Comment

First the cost just for the sake of lifting the bonnet and second and most importantly, peace of mind, with a mechanical system you know for sure the starter battery is isolated . This is my thoughts on a 4x4, simple is best
          I Love Wales

Comment

First the cost just for the sake of lifting the bonnet and second and most importantly, peace of mind, with a mechanical system you know for sure the starter battery is isolated . This is my thoughts on a 4x4, simple is best
            Electronic control systems are by default O/C. It's only when the alternator is outputting that they will connect the second battery.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Electronic control systems are by default O/C. It's only when the alternator is outputting that they will connect the second battery.
              Plus proper leisure batteries dont respond well to being charged 'rough and ready' like a normal car battery (and car type charging systems). A proper split charger designed for this sort of thing will likely make your expensive leisure battery last somewhat longer.

Once those plates are buckled, game over!

Comment

Plus proper leisure batteries dont respond well to being charged 'rough and ready' like a normal car battery (and car type charging systems). A proper split charger designed for this sort of thing will likely make your expensive leisure battery last somewhat longer.

Once those plates are buckled, game over!
                Aye, their nominal charging voltage is fairly tight, ain't it. About 0.4V variation allowed, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  Aye, their nominal charging voltage is fairly tight, ain't it. About 0.4V variation allowed, isn't it?
                  Cant remember, but the technology is geared up to high energy density, so there's bound to be some drawbacks. A lot of them are gel cells rather than wet cells aren't they.

Comment

Cant remember, but the technology is geared up to high energy density, so there's bound to be some drawbacks. A lot of them are gel cells rather than wet cells aren't they.
                    I think most SLA's are gel type, (excepting car batteries), these days. I've got a cabinet out in the workshop that I started for housing and charging a deep discharge battery, and it's still waiting on the regulator/charging circuit being built. If I remember rightly, off the top of my head, nominal is 13.4V to 13.8V. Below leads to plate sulphation, above leads to burnout.

Comment

So...........what you are saying is that it would be a bad idea to have one leisure battery and one starter battery connected all the time, I guess the leisure battery would hate the huge amps draw of starting a car??

Can you point me to a link of a split charging system please?
                      I Love Wales

Comment

So...........what you are saying is that it would be a bad idea to have one leisure battery and one starter battery connected all the time, I guess the leisure battery would hate the huge amps draw of starting a car??

Can you point me to a link of a split charging system please?

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/battery.htm

Comment

Theres a load of stuff on batteries here....

http://www.btinternet.com/~les.brock...batteries.html

on my site....not sure if it will help or make it worse

Comment

Good links guys, thank you
                            I Love Wales

Comment

As long as you use a split charge relay and only connect the positive side of the leisure battery to "leisure orientated" circuits then it should not cause any problems with your normal car battery. This is exactly how it works when you are charging a caravan battery whilst it's being towed to site.
                              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Les Brock
                                Theres a load of stuff on batteries here....

http://www.btinternet.com/~les.brock...batteries.html

on my site....not sure if it will help or make it worse
                                Just had a quick peek at your site. That looks like a nice write-up on the batteries. Glad to see I'd remembered the correct charging voltage.

Comment

Working...
                                X