Speedo / Speed camera advice PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH but...

You probably won't want to read this but my Surf with big tyres and sat/nav proved the speedo to be very accurate between 40-70mph.

Now then you worry about your speedo, to say you think it is calibrated wrongly or inaccurately is no defence...plod may delve deeper and try another fine on you.

However, you must (if you get a NIP) ask to see the photographic evidence and the actual calibration certificate for the speed camera in question. If the plod/safety camera money/profit generation dept cannot or do not provide you with the aforementioned evidence and cert then a beak/judge will usually throw the case out. Chill until you get the notice of intended prosecution...then hit them with a polite letter requesting the stuff you need.

In some tests and case other poor people have been hit with a speeding fine that was the result of another vehicle.....safety camera partneships only want money they do not want justice or any arse ache...so be polite but firm.

Loads of info on the net for avoiding some speeding fines. If you are unlucky one speeding fine shouldn't alter you insurance at renewal.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the day that someone sues the police/government for causing them to drive dangerously due to these buggers. How one can be expected to be paying full attention to road and traffic conditions and the like, when one is continuously having to check the speedo because of these things, is nigh on criminal.

Comment

Thanks for all your help so far

If I’d had the dash apart to fit “white face dials” or whatever then fair enough, I would accept the blame…. But I have not tampered with it and I guess it would have been tested upon import when the clocks would have been changed from KM to Miles.

Here is a picture of the camera taken from the left hand side of the road (from the pavement). As I say it has been there for years and everyone is aware of the white measurement markings on that side of the road (it flashed people from the rear)

When I went back to the location I first thought that the camera might have been “knocked by a wagon or something…. But it appears it is now a forward facing camera!
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
          sometimes speed cameras go off but nothing in them to have the picture anyway so sometimes they just go off on purpose just to make you think a bit about your speed only one i have had a prob with is the one that tell you to slow down but i got that sussed now
          yes us too. they go off if were anything above 26mph. so we speed up
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
            You probably won't want to read this but my Surf with big tyres and sat/nav proved the speedo to be very accurate between 40-70mph. Thanks that is usefull info

Now then you worry about your speedo, to say you think it is calibrated wrongly or inaccurately is no defence...plod may delve deeper and try another fine on you.
            Now that is exactly what I’m concerned about. I know the full history of this Surf since importation and there is nothing at all dodgy about it (or me for that matter). But then again I don’t want any more aggro by explaining the truth of the matter and risk more expense or having the Surf confiscated or whatever.

I’m going to start another post about GPS speed detectors in a moment.
            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              I'm still waiting for the day that someone sues the police/government for causing them to drive dangerously due to these buggers. How one can be expected to be paying full attention to road and traffic conditions and the like, when one is continuously having to check the speedo because of these things, is nigh on criminal.
              i agree, if your looking at your speedo, you dont have your eyes on the road. which means your driving without attention. its the same as looking at a mobile a bit.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                Thanks for all your help so far

If I’d had the dash apart to fit “white face dials” or whatever then fair enough, I would accept the blame…. But I have not tampered with it and I guess it would have been tested upon import when the clocks would have been changed from KM to Miles.

Here is a picture of the camera taken from the left hand side of the road (from the pavement). As I say it has been there for years and everyone is aware of the white measurement markings on that side of the road (it flashed people from the rear)

When I went back to the location I first thought that the camera might have been “knocked by a wagon or something…. But it appears it is now a forward facing camera!
                the camera looks like its looking at you.
                is there markings on the lane you were travelling? if not then how are they supposed to do the math and work out your speed?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

http://forums.pepipoo.com/ - for all your "dammit, I just got flashed needs..."

I was caught going through a red light a while back and following the advice given on there I appear to have gotten away with it it's been around 7 months since the date of offence and they have 6 months to lodge a court summons, so I think I'm free. FYI, I used the PACE act loophole, read about it on the site.

AFAIK, and this is just out of my head and not something I read on there, it is the drivers responsibility to ensure the speedometer is accurate. claiming that it is faulty might not get you as far as you think. If you do receive something through the post, there are far more effective ways of dealing with it.
                  I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

The general rule is 10% +2mph. So unless you were doing more than 46mph in a 40 you should be ok.

I always do 5mph LESS than the posted speed at a speed camera so this sort of thing doesn't happen. The only exception is the mobile vans. In that case you have to look a mile up the road for any suspicious vehicles parked at the side of the road, and bu**er watching where you are going!!

Comment

the ones on the bridges above motorways are the bugger, but since ive had the surf ive not had that problem
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X