Cooking oil users..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking oil users..

What mixes are you guys running in your Surfs for this time of year.

I'm currently using the following mix in a secondry 42L tank:

25L cooking oil.
    1L petrol
    15L diesel

It runs a little lumpy in the morning for 5 mins if I start it on the secondry tank but then runs like a dream... No extra heat that I can see of and quite clean on the smoke front.
    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

excuse the ignorance but why petrol??? When i ran my old surf on petrol she gave up the game a good few miles up the road

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
      excuse the ignorance but why petrol??? When i ran my old surf on petrol she gave up the game a good few miles up the road
      something to do with thining the veg oil down. I put straight veg oil in my tank about 50%. Looking at fitting a fuel heating sytsem in the next few weeks and go for 100% veg
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_b555
        something to do with thining the veg oil down. I put straight veg oil in my tank about 50%. Looking at fitting a fuel heating sytsem in the next few weeks and go for 100% veg

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!! What the hell do you put in the "schedule" part of the EX103??

The form aint to hard to understand apart from that part

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
          What mixes are you guys running in your Surfs for this time of year.

I'm currently using the following mix in a secondry 42L tank:

25L cooking oil.
          1L petrol
          15L diesel

It runs a little lumpy in the morning for 5 mins if I start it on the secondry tank but then runs like a dream... No extra heat that I can see of and quite clean on the smoke front.
          At the moment I am running on about 15-20 ltrs Diesel topped up with Waste vege Oil (about 35-40ltr) in a single tank system. It starts up and runs fine from cold.

In the summer, I have been known to increase the ratio to about 10ltrs Diesel and 50ltr Oil and it still runs smooth.

You may find the lumpiness is coming from using Petrol which the car doesn't like much.

Dave
          Just Vegging Out

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!! What the hell do you put in the "schedule" part of the EX103??

The form aint to hard to understand apart from that part
            Pass, never seen the form. I'm still experimenting with veg oil and so didn't wanna go through the paperwork only to discover my truck isn't vegie. Will start the customs forms now(ish) when I get up to 100% veg
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Well I have some 30L of petrol which the mrs stuck in the Surf and I had to drain.. so its one way of getting rid of it, it cleans the injectors (so i'm told) and also thins the oil down some more.

I have a heater on mine but when the engine is cold the mix still comes though slighty thick until its heated up. Will try the next mix without the petrol then and see if this helps with the lumpy starts..

Comment

i have tryed 100% veg and it was fine, like you say bit lumpy first starting but that was when it was a bit colder, not relally used less that 80% veg since its got a bit warmer. once warm starts and runs fine (apart from being a bit porly at the mo, uj needs replacing and top fuel pump seal gone!!) just try different ratios in half a tank, so if it runs like a dog you can wack a bit more dino in!
                it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

veg oil kit

Over the past year I have been working on a veg oil kit, a two tank system. I have fitted it to a 94 3.0 surf, and after sorting a few pipe work leaks, and 3000 or so miles it is working well.
                  The components are all of a high qualiity, Italian solonoid valves, German heat exchanger and heated filter. Things to consider when going down this route:
                  You really need to get the fuel temperature up , and purge the system of oil quickly, if you are going on a 15 mile journey you dont want to have to run the first five miles and the last 5miles on diesel.
                  I can get my fuel up to 50 degrees C within 3K, quicker if you let the engine warm up while stationary, the fuel will generally be up to 75-80 degrees within another 10 minutes. ( the temperature is taken with a small digital gauge the sensor is placed on the return pipe close to the injection pump) the actual temps are probably slightly higher than the readings).
                  the heat exchanger I am using can produce 18 kilowatts, most exchangers supplied with kits are not as powerfull, so will take longer and may not get the oil as hot, the oil can never be too hot.
                  I start up on deisel then run on 100% cooking oil I have used filtered waste oil and new oil, the truck runs perfectly on both, on switching from deisel to oil there is no difference at all.
                  I am considering putting the whole thing together as a kit, along with detailed fitting instructions. Would there be any interest?

Comment

Pics and prices might help with that question.

Comment

I think if your price was competative you would get some business.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by mcubbin
                        Over the past year I have been working on a veg oil kit, a two tank system. I have fitted it to a 94 3.0 surf, and after sorting a few pipe work leaks, and 3000 or so miles it is working well.
                        The components are all of a high qualiity, Italian solonoid valves, German heat exchanger and heated filter. Things to consider when going down this route:
                        You really need to get the fuel temperature up , and purge the system of oil quickly, if you are going on a 15 mile journey you dont want to have to run the first five miles and the last 5miles on diesel.
                        I can get my fuel up to 50 degrees C within 3K, quicker if you let the engine warm up while stationary, the fuel will generally be up to 75-80 degrees within another 10 minutes. ( the temperature is taken with a small digital gauge the sensor is placed on the return pipe close to the injection pump) the actual temps are probably slightly higher than the readings).
                        the heat exchanger I am using can produce 18 kilowatts, most exchangers supplied with kits are not as powerfull, so will take longer and may not get the oil as hot, the oil can never be too hot.
                        I start up on deisel then run on 100% cooking oil I have used filtered waste oil and new oil, the truck runs perfectly on both, on switching from deisel to oil there is no difference at all.
                        I am considering putting the whole thing together as a kit, along with detailed fitting instructions. Would there be any interest?

Hey good look with your plans…

I have this set up already and was reluctant to use 100% SVA in the winter due to it congealing in the pipes under the car and also in the tank in the boot when it gets cold over night. I toyed with the idea of running the oil line down the gear/prop tunnel in the cab under the carpets and having a 12V element in the oil tank so that you could warm the oil in the tank and its not going to get cold while it flows to the engine bay.

How have you run your line, under the car?

I have also found that it is better to run the first and last few km of the journey with diesel as the SVA does remain the lines and once the engine is cold again you have problems starting. Even if the oil filter etc is heated there will also be SVA in the line from the pump to the engine etc which does not get warm, or even in the injectors and you wouldn’t want this to congeal if we have a freak cold snap, which is possible in the UK. Starting would be a b1tch then.

You also say that you can get your SVA temp up within 10 mins, quicker if you are stationary. I find I can get my temp good enough to let the oil flow smoothly within about 5 mins of driving. I don’t think anyone would want to wait stationary in their car while the oil warms, not in the middle of winter anyway (another reason for running the first few km on diesel, you can get in a drive off while it warms).

What price tag are you putting on this and what size/kind of tank are you offering?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by mcubbin
                          i think its excellent what you have done.
                          but if those people who have said they run on 100% veg oil actually do what they say, and dont get any problems, and if they are then there is no way of them starting on diesel and ending on diesel on a standard un-modified motor and still dont have problems, then i doubt anyone would go the long way round of fitting a diesel heater, and various bits.
                          unless there was an off road trip in the arctic
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                            Hey good look with your plans…

I have this set up already and was reluctant to use 100% SVA in the winter due to it congealing in the pipes under the car and also in the tank in the boot when it gets cold over night. I toyed with the idea of running the oil line down the gear/prop tunnel in the cab under the carpets and having a 12V element in the oil tank so that you could warm the oil in the tank and its not going to get cold while it flows to the engine bay.

How have you run your line, under the car?

I have also found that it is better to run the first and last few km of the journey with diesel as the SVA does remain the lines and once the engine is cold again you have problems starting. Even if the oil filter etc is heated there will also be SVA in the line from the pump to the engine etc which does not get warm, or even in the injectors and you wouldn’t want this to congeal if we have a freak cold snap, which is possible in the UK. Starting would be a b1tch then.

You also say that you can get your SVA temp up within 10 mins, quicker if you are stationary. I find I can get my temp good enough to let the oil flow smoothly within about 5 mins of driving. I don’t think anyone would want to wait stationary in their car while the oil warms, not in the middle of winter anyway (another reason for running the first few km on diesel, you can get in a drive off while it warms).

What price tag are you putting on this and what size/kind of tank are you offering?

Cheers.
                            you know when you prime the diesel filter, well would this help when you have cold weather? eg push the primer button so many times that the pressure is great enough to help move the thicker stuff through?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                              Pics and prices might help with that question.
                              Yeah, what he said, there are plenty of other dual tank systems around to compete with.

But it is the only to satisfactorally way run 100% veg in all weathers.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X