Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi all

I have a leaking rear axle and it has sprayed oil onto the rear wheel and brake drum - figured out I need to replace the seals so ordered a seal and wheel bearing kit from Roughtrax - just wanted to ask anyone who has experienced this problem (there are quite a few from the forum threads) does this oil contaminate or damage the rear brake drum in anyway and should I replace that at the same time???

Ta very much

Originally posted by peterd1
    Hi all

I have a leaking rear axle and it has sprayed oil onto the rear wheel and brake drum - figured out I need to replace the seals so ordered a seal and wheel bearing kit from Roughtrax - just wanted to ask anyone who has experienced this problem (there are quite a few from the forum threads) does this oil contaminate or damage the rear brake drum in anyway and should I replace that at the same time???

Ta very much

I'll be OK, just give it a wash with hot water and washing up liquid or cellulous thinners. (basically, just de-grease it!)

Comment

The drum will be fine - just make sure you clean it out well. You will need to replace the shoes though and should do both sides.

It's worth giving the wheel bearing on the "good" side a shake to see what condition it's in while you're there - the seals normally fail because the bearing has gone.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

axle

thanks Vince and Roger

I have been a bit confused on the quotes for labour to do the job from a couple of garages who have worked on Surfs before but 'never done this job' and I am a bit nervous of who to go to. One bloke said 75 quid and the other said 4 -5 hours at 38 quid an hour!!! got any ideas on how difficult it is as I really want to get it done correctly. I am driving to Spain next month and I have visions of my rear diff running dry and siezing on me.

Comment

by the way

anyone know any good garages in Worcester to do the job??

Comment

Take the shaft out yourself it is only four bolts the brake line and handbrake cable.it will take about half hour to remove and will reduce the cost of labour.The smallest oil seal goes in side the axle (you will see it when the shaft is removed) so you can do that yourself as well.All you need to take to the garage is the complete half shaft and the new collers, bearing and outer oil seal and get them to fit them
            I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Working...
            X