Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding parts

All,

Wonder if someone can help me understand the part that is being discussed in this thread from yotatech?

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=92457

My truck as I suspect most Surf's here do - has a different type of UJ but I expect the principle is the same.

Basically I suspect I have this same problem on my truck but not being a mechanic I'm not sure which bit it is I'm meant to be checking has come loose - is it the nut which is shown in the bottom picture? I'm not sure about my flanges etc?!
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

from what i can gather you need to remove the front part of the rear drive shaft,drop it down and check the tightness of the nut on the flange that comes out of the transfer case,hope that makes sense.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
      from what i can gather you need to remove the front part of the rear drive shaft,drop it down and check the tightness of the nut on the flange that comes out of the transfer case,hope that makes sense.
      Thanks! Now why couldn't they just say that?! lol
      Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
        Thanks! Now why couldn't they just say that?! lol
        its the way they word things over there,it get lost in translation.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Usually if you have rear drive train vibration then it's more likely to be the UJ's themselves rather than the flange connections to the diff or transfer case. The flange nuts are usually torqued and staked sufficiently not to come loose unless there is major wear in the bearings, whereas the UJ's tend to dry out if not regularly re-greased, wear and cause quite a bit of vibration which increases with speed.

Before you consider checking the nuts, make sure the UJ's are sound, as replacing them is far easier than getting everything set to correctly reset the end float and re-torque the flange nuts. Unless you have the right tools, that's probably best left to someone like TonyN.
          Mike G

Comment

Working...
          X