cb advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb advice

Now that the surf is back on the road, I've been thinking for the last week or so of installing a cb into it.
    Just wondering what would be your recommendations for a cheap set and the best place to install it?
    Had looked at where the ash tray is but not sure if it is big enough.
    Any suggestions & pic's would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    Martin.
    Which Wychwood would you choose?

Do a search on 'CB radio' mate. There's loads of advice already been given on the subject.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by hobgoblin
      Now that the surf is back on the road, I've been thinking for the last week or so of installing a cb into it.
      Just wondering what would be your recommendations for a cheap set and the best place to install it?
      Had looked at where the ash tray is but not sure if it is big enough.
      Any suggestions & pic's would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
      Martin.
      in your truck COMEON
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops
        in your truck COMEON
        Kind of walked into that one didnt i.

thanks for the search idea copycat, very handy thing that. Should have thought about it.

Looks like the Midland 38 is popular and will do the job. will see if i can get it to fit where the ashtray is now.

cheers lads.

Comment

hey there

i used a company called thunderpole www.thunderpole.co.uk htey are based in northants and do starter packs and are 4x4 friendly, got myself set up for 100 notes inc free delivery.

as for mounting that is a personal thing i put mine on the passengers side of the tranny tunnel and the mike mount on the same side of the main dash next to the vents... some have removed the ashtry and mounted there...

hope it helps

ttfn

graham

Comment

not the easiest thing to run a search on because the 'cb' part of your keywords is too short to fit the search criteria for the forum search thingy.

so, can all the cool dudes who what done gone got one fitted (hi MattF ) please tell us what model it is that you done gone got and fitted.

cheers for all your much appreciated help, you kind and friendly bunch.
            i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I went for a Midland 48 plus multi as it was on special. It sits in the 2nd DIN socket with a Midland DIN kit so it looks nice and neat. Because it's in the dash I've an external speaker sitting in the wee space behind the gear shifter and a PA horn in the engine compartment (came with the kit so fitted it!). The aerial is attached to the spare wheel carrier with the co-ax running from rig down the side of the surf and out the bottom of the rear light cluster to a an EGP (to help reduce the swr reading) to end on a large springer.

The first Midland I got had a fault so they sent me a replacement.... and then the repaired one back as well so I've a spare rig if you're interested (with enough coax to reach the rear of the surf).

Dave

(pics on request)

Comment

Originally posted by hobgoblin
                Kind of walked into that one didnt i.

thanks for the search idea copycat, very handy thing that. Should have thought about it.

Looks like the Midland 38 is popular and will do the job. will see if i can get it to fit where the ashtray is now.

cheers lads.
                I fitted mine above the sterio in the din slot that used to have the tv in I too went to thunderpole they do strter kits for about £80.00
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                  not the easiest thing to run a search on because the 'cb' part of your keywords is too short to fit the search criteria for the forum search thingy.
                  Aha! Duly noted. (Harumphhhh, pah, last time I give advice, grumble, grumble).
                  'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg

The first Midland I got had a fault so they sent me a replacement.... and then the repaired one back as well so I've a spare rig if you're interested (with enough coax to reach the rear of the surf).
                    I might be interested in the spare rig. Has it got a mike with it and mounting kit?

How much would you want for it?
                    My other cars a QUAD
                    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

danita 3000 mounted in dash below cd player, aerial mounted above the tailgate window next to the rear wiper, bit fiddly to do but i didn't want mag mount and don't have a rear mounted spare. Plus it's nice and neat and tidy there and looks good with the camera there aswell.

ariel

I'll get better pics tomorrow if you want em
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

i have a midland 38 installed in the 'classy plastic wooden dash'. to make the speaker louder for the deaf i slotted in an old nokia hands free kit as well, just a big speaker on a jack plug. heres a pic

aerial is a mag mount on the rear by the spoiler

TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Cheers lads,
                          Had a good look on the net last night & a bit play around in the truck. At the moment i have a cd/cassette/radio fitted which is double din. It was fitted when I bought it. Thinking that it i replace that with a single din mp3 player I can fit the cb there. Should make it a bit easier to hide all the cables and hunting for a constant live wire.
                          Both thunderpole & 4x4cb have some nice looking rigs. Will probably get one from one of them but thanks for your offer Ballibeg.
                          Now to hit fleabay for an mp3 player.

Again cheers for the advice lads.

Comment

Working...
                          X