Thinking of chopping the grille & bumper up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of chopping the grille & bumper up

I'm thinking of chopping a chunk of the bumper out at the front, and the grille and replacing it with mesh instead. I'll take out the A/C and put a bash plate in, and recess the lower spots into the new mesh but mount them further back to prevent loss or damage off road. I've mocked it up in Photoshop - what do you all think????
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer
    I'm thinking of chopping a chunk of the bumper out at the front, and the grille and replacing it with mesh instead. I'll take out the A/C and put a bash plate in, and recess the lower spots into the new mesh but mount them further back to prevent loss or damage off road. I've mocked it up in Photoshop - what do you all think????
    looks cool reminds me of one of them chav bumpers,
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
      looks cool reminds me of one of them chav bumpers,
      A what??? Don't you mean 'Chav Bar' - rather than Bull Bar???

I'm going to be doing some serious work over the next couple of weeks:

Snorkel fitted
      Bonnet Air Intake (cold air in)
      Air flow ducts fitted behind air intake (hot air out)
      Custom grille and bumper
      Poss. Intercooler (for Nissan Skyline R32)
      Agricultural spec rad

Should be a force to be reckoned with afterwards.....

Comment

A what??? Don't you mean 'Chav Bar' - rather than Bull Bar???

I'm going to be doing some serious work over the next couple of weeks:

Snorkel fitted
        Bonnet Air Intake (cold air in)
        Air flow ducts fitted behind air intake (hot air out)
        Custom grille and bumper
        Poss. Intercooler (for Nissan Skyline R32)
        Agricultural spec rad

Should be a force to be reckoned with afterwards.....
        no definately a chav bumper,well thats what i use mine for.hehehehehe.lots of good mods to come too.good luck with it all and dont forget to post lots of pics.p.s dont go and play in the mud with a rad thats to exposed , liable to get blocked with mud.see if you can protect it some how.
        Last edited by surfenstein; 12 April 2007, 22:00.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

no definately a chav bumper,well thats what i use mine for.hehehehehe.lots of good mods to come too.good luck with it all and dont forget to post lots of pics.p.s dont go and play in the mud with a rad thats to exposed , liable to get blocked with mud.see if you can protect it some how.
          at least he will be able to clean it though!

looks like a good idea as long as you can still mount the bumper. what about MOT?
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Mark - do you think this would fit attached to the bulkhead and go over the top of the block?? I'll have to move the air release pipe off the bulkhead and over to one side or something...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-SKYLINE...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
              at least he will be able to clean it though!

looks like a good idea as long as you can still mount the bumper. what about MOT?
              Well this is where the plan sticks a bit - I need to check this to see if it can be done and stay legal - what I may do is just chop out the lower valance and put mesh into where the gaps are now, just to give it more air - and with the agri spec rad it will be easier to clean (through the mesh) and get the mud out too

Comment

Mark - do you think this would fit attached to the bulkhead and go over the top of the block?? I'll have to move the air release pipe off the bulkhead and over to one side or something...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-SKYLINE...QQcmdZViewItem
                that is a massive intercooler.you may have trouble fitting it under the bonnet.but having said that,how are your fabing skills.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Well this is where the plan sticks a bit - I need to check this to see if it can be done and stay legal - what I may do is just chop out the lower valance and put mesh into where the gaps are now, just to give it more air - and with the agri spec rad it will be easier to clean (through the mesh) and get the mud out too
                  the bumper will be legal as long as there are no sharp edges,mine went through no questions asked.so i dont see a prob with what your doing.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

i failed an MOT befoe for having no valance on
                    would have been easy to sort out though and it looked cool! my oil cooler hides behind mine.

and yeah that intercooler is HUGE!
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers Tim/Mark

Have you got any ideas for what I can do to increase air flow, protect as much as I can from mud onto the rad....and stay legal bumper wise?

The pic was me thinking this evening what I could do - but you guys are way further forward in terms of hacking the s**t out of your Surfs than me....so your advise is VERY welcome...

Comment

Cheers Tim/Mark

Have you got any ideas for what I can do to increase air flow, protect as much as I can from mud onto the rad....and stay legal bumper wise?

The pic was me thinking this evening what I could do - but you guys are way further forward in terms of hacking the s**t out of your Surfs than me....so your advise is VERY welcome...
                        to be honest i think what you have done there is perfectly legal.you are only cutting the middle out.and the outside edges are rounded and smooth,nothing sticking out that might catch a pedestrian and rip his or her leg arm or whatever off,so stick with what you have.as for the intercooler i think you may have to go for something a little smaller.but like dirtydog says i can see a bumper mounting problem.
                        Last edited by surfenstein; 12 April 2007, 22:24.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

to be honest i think what you have done there is perfectly legal.you are only cutting the middle out.and the outside edges are rounded and smooth,nothing sticking out that might catch a pedestrian and rip his or her leg arm or whatever off,so stick with what you have.as for the intercooler i think you may have to go for something a little smaller.but like dirtydog says i can see a bumper mounting problem.
                          OK - Andrew (The Lovely Boyo) has sent me instructions on fitting a Trooper intercooler, so may well do that instead of some BFO one....

I'll check with the guy at the garage on the chopping a giant hole in the front before we get started (what, you didn't think I was going to do it, did you??) and make sure what we do is legal - I'll keep everything behind it, I just want a bigger gap for air....I may have two layers for protecting the rad????

Comment

OK - Andrew (The Lovely Boyo) has sent me instructions on fitting a Trooper intercooler, so may well do that instead of some BFO one....

I'll check with the guy at the garage on the chopping a giant hole in the front before we get started (what, you didn't think I was going to do it, did you??) and make sure what we do is legal - I'll keep everything behind it, I just want a bigger gap for air....I may have two layers for protecting the rad????
                            great cant wait to see the finished pics.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

great cant wait to see the finished pics.
                              Fancy being part of the project???

Comment

Working...
                              X