Head gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gone.

Just had it confirmed this afternoon. The head on my Surf is cracked between cylinders 3 and 4. I have only managed to drive it 250 yards. I am hoping my mate back in Lancashire can get me a good deal through a friend in the motor trade. Otherwise it looks like big bucks. I have been climbing the walls all week to take her out for a drive as well. Aah well, looks like I will have to wait a few more weeks and I'll have to hammer the overtime.
    Are the 3 litres becoming a problem as it seems to me, as a newbie that a lot of people on the 3 litre page have had the same problem.

Cheers, Simon.

Originally posted by SimonT
    Are the 3 litres becoming a problem as it seems to me, as a newbie that a lot of people on the 3 litre page have had the same problem.

Cheers, Simon.
    just getting old, thats all. once head done it'll last another 10-15 years. just one of those things. good luck getting it sorted.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Although the 2.4's get a lot of bad prees in this area, head failure due to hairline cracks can happen to the 3ltr's and the V6's.

Whether it's down to age, or previous poor maintenance who knows? but I think if you looked at the motor industry as a whole, you'd find that many vehicle marques and models suffer from this and similar related problems.

It's a shame that you've had so little use of the surf prior to this happening, but keep your chin up, pay the money and keep smiling, it'll be worth it in the end.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
        just getting old, thats all. once head done it'll last another 10-15 years. just one of those things. good luck getting it sorted.
        I am really surprised as she has only done 85000 miles. I think I have just been unlucky, although it did gall me when I got in the missus Rover diesel and it just went past the 140000 mile mark.
        I am hoping to have it sorted within the next month.

Cheers, Simon.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          Although the 2.4's get a lot of bad prees in this area, head failure due to hairline cracks can happen to the 3ltr's and the V6's.

Whether it's down to age, or previous poor maintenance who knows? but I think if you looked at the motor industry as a whole, you'd find that many vehicle marques and models suffer from this and similar related problems.

It's a shame that you've had so little use of the surf prior to this happening, but keep your chin up, pay the money and keep smiling, it'll be worth it in the end.
          I am annoyed at myself really as this was the first time I purchased a vehicle and didn't take off the radiator cap or oil filler cap when looking over the vehicle.
          A lesson learned I think.

Simon.

Comment

My head showed none of the usual signs of immanant failure, until one day on the way home it just boiled up.

When the head was removed, it showed that there were cracks across ALL the valve seats, so this problem had been lurking in the background for possibly years.

My surf had done 93,000 miles when the head went.

I had a Citroen from new and did 350,000 miles with NO mechanical failures at all, so it,s just luck of the draw.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
              Hey! Not fair! V6s don't have a problem with the heads cracking.

It's the head gaskets blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho

Yes, I can confirm that!

Been there done that, paid £1,073 to get it fixed.... but I think it was worth it
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

What I actually said was that it " CAN happen" not that that they have a "problem"

It's all in the interpretation, he he
                  Rob

Comment

FFS for the V6 punters OK you dont have the crack head prob (just keep buying gaskets )

Do heads crack between cylinders? I think not, heads crack between valve seats.

Where's yer water going, is there water in your oil or oil in yer water, pressure in the cooling system or just white steam then shutdown?

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                      FFS for the V6 punters OK you dont have the crack head prob (just keep buying gaskets )
                      Misery guts.

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                        I believe the problem with the V6 petrol engine was the fact that Toyota originally fitted inferior head gaskets. A lot of these where changed under a recall.

Now mine has been replaced there should be no reason why it won’t do another 100k.
                        There are guys in the US with 300 – 400k miles on these V6 engines.
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

V6 Heads WARP as well.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            V6 Heads WARP as well.
                            Bit like their owners ?
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              Bit like their owners ?
                              Miaow. You're just jealous because we can hear the stereo with the engine running.

Comment

Working...
                              X