Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-regestering an insurance write-off

All,

Has anyone on here ever bought an insurance write-off and put it back on the road? If so, did you encounter any particular problems or is there anything I should look out for if I'm going to do this? I know I have to get a VIC check done on it, but not sure if there is anything else?

The reason - I'm interested in buying a CAT C write-off. Although it is classed as CAT C the damage is minimal and purely aesthetic.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Had my old Astramax van written off, beyond economical repair. As yours, was damage that was minimal but not economical to repair.
    Went to the s$$$$ yard bought a bumper, head light and indicator, phoned insurance and they said I had to get a letter from a garage to say the vehicle was road worthy.
    Got the letter sent it off and vehicle was insured and back on the road.

Had the van 2 1/2 years, paid £500 for the vehicle, got £600 off the insurance company and kept the vehicle, cost £60 for parts from the s$$$$py then traded it in for £550 for my first Surf.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Did you have to have a VIC check done on the vehicle?

Do you think you would have experienced problems selling it due it having the "insurance write-off" stigma associated with the vehicle?
      Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop

Do you think you would have experienced problems selling it due it having the "insurance write-off" stigma associated with the vehicle?
        the VIC was recently introduced to prevent vehicles being ringed, the vehicle will probably not come with a V5.

I haven't done this myself but I know somebody who has, aparently you fill in the approprate form, send it with a fee to your nearest centre (patrick Green GVTS at leeds is my nearest one) then they will send you an appointment to take the vehicle there, it's mainly to check that A) the vehicle is the one described on the DVLA register, B) any parts that need to be replaced have been and C) it's roadworthy.

additionally the DVLA will probably charge you £25 for the pleasure of re-registering the vehicle with it's original number!

as regards the stigma, I have a cat C motorbike, I've had no problems insuring it, and I suppose you would have to declare it if you sold it on.

Hope this helps, but the Vosa web site should help further!
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop

nah exactly as it says in my post (was three years ago when it happened)
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Working...
          X