No announcement yet.

landrover owner wondering what surf to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RUST what RUST. The SURF is an import from Japan, Although it snows over there they dont put salt on the roads as we do, So a good Underseal is recommended around the chassis etc.
    I'd also recommend a 3.0 Diesel Motor.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

hi and welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure dave,plenty of nutters and very usefull info on this site,so sit back relax and let the grin begin.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by englishdave
        alright mate, I'm in crystal palace top o' the hill

cheers for the replys guys, Now I just have to flog the landy so it's looking like a 3.0ltr auto, Is there anything especially I should walk away from? I know all about smoke, being a landy owner... but are there any particular comon areas for bad rust? The defender had two main areas...rear crossmember and bulkhead...both of which i took no notice of D

cheers
        Dave
        My advice would be to avoid fresh imports. A lot of people seem to want them more but I have no idea why. It seems that we get all the dogs from Japan and the first owner has to spend a fortune putting them right. Get one that's been here a while, with some history, and you'll probably get years of trouble-free motoring. The best ones are likely to be in the for sale section here.

Comment

... but are there any particular comon areas for bad rust?
          lol rust...

i've got a sweeeeet 2.4td, tbh it's not the quickest, but other than that it's top drawer, turns heads and if you get the ssr-G ,you get toys, recaro interior, switchable hard/soft suspension ,air-con etc etc

whats that? you want pics?
          The benchmark....

Comment

cheers for the replys guys, Now I just have to flog the landy so it's looking like a 3.0ltr auto, Is there anything especially I should walk away from? I know all about smoke, being a landy owner... but are there any particular comon areas for bad rust? The defender had two main areas...rear crossmember and bulkhead...both of which i took no notice of D

cheers
            Dave
            One thing to note is that jap antifreeze and european stuff don't usually like each other, it turns into a brown sludge that can block everything (I know from experiance)

3.0ltr heads do crack, but it is less common than the 2.4's, saying that I've got one of each. This is my first 4x4 and got into them after driving my best mate's 3.0ltr.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough do it...... you know you want to
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
              If you can find the rare 3.0ltr. V6 Petrol they are the fastest, smoothest and most powerful of the bunch……. And you can pick them up for little money……….
              The 3.0L petrol has a couple of extra BHP but the 3.0L TD has oodles more torque (see attached spec sheet). If you want to tow or offroad get the diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by huff_diggler
                lol rust...

i've got a sweeeeet 2.4td, tbh it's not the quickest, but other than that it's top drawer, turns heads and if you get the ssr-G ,you get toys, recaro interior, switchable hard/soft suspension ,air-con etc etc

whats that? you want pics?
                Thats not quite true SSRG does come most of the time with RECAROS all other models usually have Hard/Soft Suspension & Aircon
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

That PAGE needs to be a BIT SMALLER i cant read it as its in the garden
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Thats not quite true SSRG does come most of the time with RECAROS all other models usually have Hard/Soft Suspension & Aircon
                    i stand corrected
                    The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      That PAGE needs to be a BIT SMALLER i cant read it as its in the garden
                      Stick it on your big telly Mark.....

As far as the petrol/diesel debate goes, the torque figures are pretty much indisputable but the petrol does make a much nicer noise, has better response and can work out cheaper (if you do low miles, like me, because they are cheaper to buy than the diesels). You'd be mad to try and use it for commuting or other regular driving though.

As for 'fast', both the petrol and diesel are pretty much glacial in the great scheme of things. I don't think I'll be trying to beat anyone at the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        As far as the petrol/diesel debate goes, the torque figures are pretty much indisputable but the petrol does make a much nicer noise, has better response and can work out cheaper (if you do low miles, like me, because they are cheaper to buy than the diesels). You'd be mad to try and use it for commuting or other regular driving though.

As for 'fast', both the petrol and diesel are pretty much glacial in the great scheme of things. I don't think I'll be trying to beat anyone at the lights.
                        It may only be 18 bhp extra… but in true “Top Trumps” style, the V6 Petrol wins…

Well I’ve got to have something to boast about……..

Cos I certainly can’t when it come to mpg….. and yes… I must be mad using this everyday
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

now thats depends on whos got the top trump.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

cheers
                            Dave

know the area well dave used to use a club up there came from sydenham hill originally ,
                            just check the same things as you would as on any 4x4
                            good luck on your search
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

The gearbox is the only bit that aint broke on mine in the past year. Spend 1k under budget for the car 'cos you will need the spare dosh for first year repairs 2.4 or 3ltr the Surf is a soft overcomplicated car and difficult to work on whether it's head light bulbs / starter motor / cylinder head most "simple" jobs on Landy's are a pure basturd on the Surf.

But I like it and it aint broke for almost 3 weeks now

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                                The gearbox is the only bit that aint broke on mine in the past year. Spend 1k under budget for the car 'cos you will need the spare dosh for first year repairs 2.4 or 3ltr the Surf is a soft overcomplicated car and difficult to work on whether it's head light bulbs / starter motor / cylinder head most "simple" jobs on Landy's are a pure basturd on the Surf.

But I like it and it aint broke for almost 3 weeks now
                                We'll have to agree to disagree. I aint had any probs with the Surf in 3 years, but that b*tch of a Landy at work has been the bane of my life every time I'm unfortunate enough to have to take it out!
                                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                                X