The Self Healing Surf prevails....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Self Healing Surf prevails....

Had a bit of fun at Avon Dassett today, and left with the Surf making a lot of thumping sounds coming from the front - after a cursory inspection from a guy on site (nice Jeep he had too) and a shake of the drive shafts all seemed OK mechanically, and by the time I got to the jet wash - all nasty sounds and clunks had gone....it lives again!!!!

Saw Neville there too - he had gone for a swim.....didn't get any pics, I was busy getting filthy helping get him recovered - few squirts of Gunk on the starter motor and a boost from my BURGUNDY truck got him started....and while my truck didn't get too dirty - I did!!!
    Last edited by MudSurfer; 25 March 2007, 22:01.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

That sinking feeling......

Throwing a rope to shore.....

The recovery...

The damage....

Can anyone beat this for a tide mark!!!

Yes- an interesting few hours at Avon Dassett today. Managed to drown the interior of the Surf big style- there's even water in the centre cubby hole! But as Muddysurf said- a squirt of Gunk on the starter motor and a battery boost got it going. These Hilux's are surely indestructible?

Comment

thats going to take a bit of cleaning mate,

hope your surf is a toy and you dont need it for work tomorrow.

maybe a snorkel should be your next mod.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
        thats going to take a bit of cleaning mate,

maybe a snorkel should be your next mod.

cheers scotty
        Cleaned out already- thought what the heck it's already wet so I just hosed out the inside and sucked out the water with a Vax! Should be okay for work tommorow.

Snorkels- won't fit one in case I'm tempted into even deeper water. The darn thing started to float in the wash of a passing 4x4!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          Cleaned out already- thought what the heck it's already wet so I just hosed out the inside and sucked out the water with a Vax! Should be okay for work tommorow.

Snorkels- won't fit one in case I'm tempted into even deeper water. The darn thing started to float in the wash of a passing 4x4!
          Yeah - he was good and helpful!

Hope this link works - it (should be) is Avon Dassett quarry from Live Earth..

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...d%20Kingdom___
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Looks like a good day out, mine took a week to dry completely and it wasn't that deep! I too used the vax and took the seats out, and ran a dehumidifier in it for the first four days, then put the drivers seat back in, put the rest in after a further 3 days!
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

I think DOOR SEALS are in order before fitting a SNORKEL.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Door seals keep the water in just as well as they keep it out.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  I think DOOR SEALS are in order before fitting a SNORKEL.
                  Door seals are okay for a few seconds.....it's when the submersion carries on for ten minutes theres a problem!

I think it mainly came up through the sills anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                    That is a very good point!!!!

As you say, it’s fine if it’s your off-road toy…. But why people do this to their everyday vehicles, I just don’t know

I’ve been in situations in West Africa where the road is blocked behind and the only option is to wade through water in the Land Cruiser… not because it’s fun, but because to stay there overnight would mean there was a very good chance of being attacked and shot by bandits.

Its nice to know how capable our Toyotas are…. But why risk wrecking it just for fun?
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR

Its nice to know how capable our Toyotas are…. But why risk wrecking it just for fun?
                      Because that's what we bought them for?

Comment

and to see what these beasts can really do, and stand up to,
                        look like alot of fun

Comment

Having done many off road miles in the real world (not just pay & play mud holes), I do know what a Toyota is capable of……

Yes, off-road sites are fun….. but what happens when hours, days months later something blows up or breaks because of mud and water damage? Fair enough if it is just your toy, but not much fun if it’s your daily driver and it happens one a dark cold night in the middle of nowhere.

Each to their own I guess.
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

thats what break down services are for, as for breaking stuff well in all fairness any vehicle can break down at any time, and thats just the way it is

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                              Having done many off road miles in the real world (not just pay & play mud holes), I do know what a Toyota is capable of……

Yes, off-road sites are fun….. but what happens when hours, days months later something blows up or breaks because of mud and water damage? Fair enough if it is just your toy, but not much fun if it’s your daily driver and it happens one a dark cold night in the middle of nowhere.

Each to their own I guess.
                              Doom & gloom....it's my only car, I expect it to work okay after most pay-n-play days and have driven 50 miles in it today. It's the 14th time that car has been to that particular offroad site and I drive through that same puddle several times every trip. For some reason this time I took the wrong line and got one wheel in the real mud!

As far as I'm concerned it's just a bit of fun but not exactly wreckless. A 4x4 is for offroading and not molly coddling. If the Surf breaks I'll fix it or get it fixed- sh*t happens. I have a small list of stuff I will need fix or replace after this trip- 'tis not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X