Stabilizer/Sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabilizer/Sway bar

OK. Following on from my earlier thread wherein I discovered (eventually) that Milners had sent 3rd Gen springs instead of 2nd gen ones, I'm back with another question.

Following advice from an old post, I decided to remove the old springs the (supposedly) easy way by undoing the lower end of the shocks & sway bar & letting the axle drop. All this worked well until I tried to reconnect the sway bar. The axle now seems to have re-located half an inch to the left & no ammount of pushing or pulling seems to make it want to move to the right sufficiently for the sway bar stud to pass through the bush eye on the sway bar itself.

Is there an easy way of re-attaching the sway bar that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks for all the posts on the last thread, btw!

did my bushes a long time ago and I remember it being a real pain to re-connect. cant offer any advice though sorry.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hmmm, I'd go for some spring compressors and give yourself loads of free play to relocate any bolts etc.
      NO WORRIES!
      Rusty

Comment

I think the easiest way and thats to use a ratchet and strap to pull the axel back over or just take the anti roll bar off completely
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fraser
          OK. Following on from my earlier thread wherein I discovered (eventually) that Milners had sent 3rd Gen springs instead of 2nd gen ones, I'm back with another question.

Following advice from an old post, I decided to remove the old springs the (supposedly) easy way by undoing the lower end of the shocks & sway bar & letting the axle drop. All this worked well until I tried to reconnect the sway bar. The axle now seems to have re-located half an inch to the left & no ammount of pushing or pulling seems to make it want to move to the right sufficiently for the sway bar stud to pass through the bush eye on the sway bar itself.

You mean the panhard rod!

Unbolt the ends of the anti rollbar from the chassis, the two bolts on the brackets that are on both ends, then fit the panhard rod to the passenger side of the axle, then with the truck's wheels on the ground, get someone to push the body over so that you can slip the bolt into the other end of the rod.

Comment

Sorry, should have mentioned that I took the ARB off some time ago & junked it. Still very difficult to get it all to line up.

Is it easier to connect the axle end first & then the chassis end or vice versa?
            Last edited by Mike Fraser; 24 March 2007, 23:21.

Comment

Do what Vince says (Bushwhacker),

Sway bars (in the USA) anti roll bars here!
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fraser

Assuming you mean the panhard rod- this is the way I got it back together. A length of chain and a scissor jack to pull it in!!

Comment

Lazer Jock, thanks for the image. A sound suggestion. I'll use that idea when I get the correct springs in from Milners.

Comment

Working...
                  X