Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Springs

Hi All

I was just about to replace the rear springs on my truck with the ones recently purchased from Milners. Thing is, the Milners ones look decidedly different from the rather saggy ones on my truck. Whereas the Milner ones taper to a smaller coil at the top (or bottom), the ones on the truck are parellel for the full length. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Milner ones would go nowhere near the the spring seat on either the axle on the chassis. Tried phoning Milners but as they are now closed for the weekend & I wanted to get this sorted for Monday, I'm hopeing someone here has an answer.

Originally posted by Mike Fraser
    Hi All

I was just about to replace the rear springs on my truck with the ones recently purchased from Milners. Thing is, the Milners ones look decidedly different from the rather saggy ones on my truck. Whereas the Milner ones taper to a smaller coil at the top (or bottom), the ones on the truck are parellel for the full length. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Milner ones would go nowhere near the the spring seat on either the axle on the chassis. Tried phoning Milners but as they are now closed for the weekend & I wanted to get this sorted for Monday, I'm hopeing someone here has an answer.
    The smaller coil on my l/c springs is at the bottom Mike Plus you will find that they should only fit 1 way around correctly
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

they will fit as already stated, also the longer of the two springs should be on the o/s (ie drivers side) to counteract the weight of the fuel tank etc.
      Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
        they will fit as already stated, also the longer of the two springs should be on the o/s (ie drivers side) to counteract the weight of the fuel tank etc.
        I don't think those milners 20% springs are sided as my L/C ones were'nt

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          I don't think those milners 20% springs are sided as my L/C ones were'nt
          You're right richard they are not sided, they are the ones I've got and they are both the same
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

fitted mine two weeks ago and yes they go on fine and are not sided
            they do look wrong but they aint..
            johnd..
            i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

I'm guessing then, that the diameter of the lower end of the coil expands to fit the spring seat as the coil settles?

Comment

I'm guessing then, that the diameter of the lower end of the coil expands to fit the spring seat as the coil settles?
                the spring sits on a rubber pad thing which is shaped to the spring and the end of the spring sits against the lip thats on the pad

Comment

Yes, I understand that but what concerns me is that the i/d of the lower end of the Milner spring is approx 70mm dia. whilst the i/d of the spring I've just taken off is just over 100mm. In fact, I've just put one of the Milner springs on and it won't sit into the top seat because the taper of the bump stop stops it sliding up to sit properly and at the bottom end the tighter of the coils is nowhere near sitting fully in the seat. Once the spring settles and the weight of the truck has been on them for a while I guess they will fit themselves into the seats. Am I correct?

Comment

Yes, I understand that but what concerns me is that the i/d of the lower end of the Milner spring is approx 70mm dia. whilst the i/d of the spring I've just taken off is just over 100mm. In fact, I've just put one of the Milner springs on and it won't sit into the top seat because the taper of the bump stop stops it sliding up to sit properly and at the bottom end the tighter of the coils is nowhere near sitting fully in the seat. Once the spring settles and the weight of the truck has been on them for a while I guess they will fit themselves into the seats. Am I correct?
                    It is possible that you have been supplied the wrong springs, as mine fitted straight on
                    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

I'm beginning to think so. Having fitted them, the lower end of the coil is sitting on TOP of the spring pan rather than in the grove around it. The top of the coil is about half an inch away from the seat & won't go any further because of the conical taper on the bump stop. There is absolutly no way these would fit right in.

Comment

Just checked Milners web site & bugger, they've sent me a set of springs for a 3rd gen, part no 4888 as opposed to 4014.

No I'm really $$$$ed off!

Need to go out & put the old ones back on!

Bugger!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X