HMRC consultation on biofuels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMRC consultation on biofuels

Some of you may or may not be aware that HMRC have recently been consulting on relaxing the need for registration if you are a home user/producer of biodiesel.

What was laid out in the consultation was basically that if you are a home producer and make/use under 2500ltrs of boifuel a year then you would not need to register and pay. Apparently HMRC are getting inundated with the paperwork and administration that goes with dealing with small producers and its is just not cost effective to do so.

The consultation is over and it would appear (though dont quote me on this) that by the summer, when they get the legislation in place, small producers will no longer need to register.

"7.49 At Budget 2006 the Government announced that it would review the definition of
    biodiesel in the Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979 to ensure that environmentally friendly
    fuels continue to receive recognition through the duty system. The review concluded that the
    definition should be kept under active review as new fuels and approaches emerge. HM
    Revenue and Customs (HMRC) also issued at the 2006 Pre-Budget Report further guidance on
    testing biodiesel against the current definition. Following consultation, HMRC will relax
    requirements for small biofuels producers to register and submit returns and reduce the
    requirement for all but the largest producers from monthly to quarterly returns.
    http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=2350

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by miketilley; 23 March 2007, 18:59.
    http://www.maninhat.myzen.co.uk/

what about those of us that are allready registered???
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
      what about those of us that are allready registered???
      I think that those already registered will no longer be required to submit returns unless you exceed the limits..... but don't quote me on that. I havent registered, then again I havent used any SVO either, couldn't seem to get it any cheaper than dinodiesel once gordon's taken his cut.

If this goes through it might change my outlook on the whole veg oil thing though!
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
      X