Finally got the starter motor off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got the starter motor off.

Well I followed the instructions from the Yotatech site and managed to get the starter unbolted and the cables disconnected in about an hour.
    It is difficult to get at the connectors to see how they undo. It then took me another hour to get the dammed thing out of the engine bay!!!
    I took the extra step of removing the manifold heat shield (not mentioned in the Yotatech instructions) and then managed to get the thing out backwards.

Not an easy job at all. I have done other cars in the past that where awkward, but this has been the worst.

I like puzzles….. but not in the cold and dark
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

what was the problem

Comment

Originally posted by White Russian
      what was the problem
      I had to call out the RAC on Monday evening… they diagnosed a faulty starter motor.

The problem was getting the starter out of the engine bay… it will only come out one way, turned through 90°, then up, turned 90° again, then pulled out backwards through the drivers side engine bay wheel arch.

I followed the instructions from Yotatech, but they did not say you need to remove one of the exhaust manifold heat shields… oh and we have the steering column in the way on our trucks.

Now I know how it is done, I could do it a lot quicker….. it's just figuring how to do it.
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

had a problem with mine clicking when you turned the key on my 3ltr, got a service kit off ROUGHTRAX . took it to ADVANCE elecs in Birkinhead. 3hrs &50£ later job done, saved me a lot time & hairpullin JIM

Comment

Originally posted by White Russian
          had a problem with mine clicking when you turned the key on my 3ltr, got a service kit off ROUGHTRAX . took it to ADVANCE elecs in Birkinhead. 3hrs &50£ later job done, saved me a lot time & hairpullin JIM

heres my turn at this
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...62&postcount=3
          Gaz

Comment

Yeah. I've learnt the hard way that every job on a Surf is pants.

Here is a link for when I did my starter. Hope it works ok when you get it back in.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...motor+contacts

Comment

Working...
            X