question for all you computer buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vatchman
    done that dave ive got 36% of the disk freed up but it wont let me do anything .when it does defrag it say theses files could not be compressed,which is all of them.disc clean up wont run either.
    Go out & BUY an ETCHA SKETCH you cant go wrong
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      Go out & BUY an ETCHA SKETCH you cant go wrong
      Hammers work well
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

hehehehe.right how do i format the disc.ill try that first.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

First.....pour a long beer........
          If you have the install disks it will format it for you. If daughter has any music pics etc on the machine save em to disc or your life will be a misery

Comment

How much memory does it have?How many running processes (you can find this by pressing alt/ctrl/delete simultaniously,this will bring up the task manager)?
            Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
              First.....pour a long beer........
              If you have the install disks it will format it for you. If daughter has any music pics etc on the machine save em to disc or your life will be a misery
              ah right ive tried that already and its made no difference.i guess the harddrive must be knackered then.right next question then where do i get a new one.and any ideas on price.and how easy is it to do.and.............
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

ah right ive tried that already and its made no difference.i guess the harddrive must be knackered then.right next question then where do i get a new one.and any ideas on price.and how easy is it to do.and.............

It sounds as if you may have too many processes running in the back ground(see my previous post)and/or not enough RAM.Have you ran a spyware scan using spybot search and destroy and/or Adaware?
                Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
                  It sounds as if you may have too many processes running in the back ground(see my previous post)and/or not enough RAM.Have you ran a spyware scan using spybot search and destroy and/or Adaware?
                  yea done a spy ware scan with spybot and an antivirus scan both came up with nothing,ive also shut down all applications that were running.still made no difference.
                  Last edited by surfenstein; 16 March 2007, 18:53.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

I just whack my laptop on top right hand corner and that sorts everything out......
                    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...cs=ukdhs1&l=en
                    Dell prices
                    I've got PCWorld and Maplins on the doorstep so I usually get my bits there.
                    Changing drive shouldnt be a prob if you have mucked about with towers. If you have O/S install disks you could try format and install first. Fdisk will wipe everything from HD. Can you boot to Dos command line? type Fdisk? and you should get help instructions. Be very careful with fdisk. make sure everything is at hand,install disks,boot disk, vallium.........

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                      I just whack my laptop on top right hand corner and that sorts everything out......
                      http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...cs=ukdhs1&l=en
                      Dell prices
                      I've got PCWorld and Maplins on the doorstep so I usually get my bits there.
                      Changing drive shouldnt be a prob if you have mucked about with towers. If you have O/S install disks you could try format and install first. Fdisk will wipe everything from HD. Can you boot to Dos command line? type Fdisk? and you should get help instructions. Be very careful with fdisk. make sure everything is at hand,install disks,boot disk, vallium.........
                      how do i get to thedos command line.?
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

how do i get to thedos command line.?
                        With a DOS disk. XP has no true DOS mode. Wang the XP disc in and do a fresh install. It'll wipe the existing installation.

Comment

Have you tried a SYSTEM RESTORE yet ?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

have you tried telling het to get it sorted herself or go without

Didn't mean that really cause she and shirlster make a good fry up
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                              have you tried telling het to get it sorted herself or go without

i just as well go and beat my as to try and talk any sense into my step daughter,typical teenager thinks she knows every thing,typical kevin and perry syndrome.soooooooooooooo unfair.she not very good at keeping her computer clean.in the virus and defrag and spybot and disc clean way.god knows how many times i tell her.

Didn't mean that really cause she and shirlster make a good fry up
                              yes you did.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

You can buy external hard drives at staples or wherever for lees tha £100.00 fo 80GB, then you can try to download everything onto that and then wipe your laptop and reload.

Thats the theory, I don't know if it will work in practice ( but someone will) or whether the lap top will let you do it if it's "buggered"
                                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                                X