Special Anti-freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Anti-freeze?

Just followed a link to this site www.import-handbooks.co.uk and found this snippet in their sales blurb. I haven't seen it in the tech section so thought it worth a mention. Apologies if it has been discussed before.

" And learning little things like remembering to use Toyota only anti freeze with it's unique inhibitor in the HiLux's and Estimas can help save you almost a grand (the cost of a new head if you ignore this critical tip). "

Interesting...............
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 4 February 2004, 23:41.
    It's only a hobby!

Hmmm, so they are suggesting the Hilux and Estima has a cylinder head made out of material that is different to other vehicles then? I'm sure I read somewhere that 4runners were also built in and imported from Japan, with UK spec of course.

Quote: "unlike their UK equivalents they [the handbooks] are loaded with all sorts of useful extra information"

So the British spec car manufacturers are holding out on us? Or could this be simple sales pitch?

The 4runner owners manual states:
    "Ethylene-glycol antifreeze is the antifreeze contained in the coolant that your new toyota is dlivered with" It also says: "Do not use alcohol type antifreeze or plain water alone" no mention of Toyota's own!

After recommendations from forum members I am running with Bluecol. The Bluecol bottle states "Suitable for all engine types" "exceeds BS6580:1992"

Does anyone have a copy of a Surf handbook from Import handbooks to verify that it does indeed state that only Toyota antifreeze should be used.
    Last edited by icsys; 5 February 2004, 00:46.
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
      Hmmm, so they are suggesting the Hilux and Estima has a cylinder head made out of material that is different to other vehicles then? I'm sure I read somewhere that 4runners were also built in and imported from Japan, with UK spec of course.

Quote: "unlike their UK equivalents they [the handbooks] are loaded with all sorts of useful extra information"

So the British spec car manufacturers are holding out on us? Or could this be simple sales pitch?

The 4runner owners manual states:
      "Ethylene-glycol antifreeze is the antifreeze contained in the coolant that your new toyota is dlivered with" It also says: "Do not use alcohol type antifreeze or plain water alone" no mention of Toyota's own!

After recommendations from forum members I am running with Bluecol. The Bluecol bottle states "Suitable for all engine types" "exceeds BS6580:1992"

Does anyone have a copy of a Surf handbook from Import handbooks to verify that it does indeed state that only Toyota antifreeze should be used.

I have the handbook from new zealand which looks like the japanse handbook that came with my surf. It is totallly silent on any fluids or antifreeze and refers you to your toyota dealer for any service information.
      ScubaSurf

The place to be is under the sea

Comment

The thot plickens......... I must say that their prices seem fair, as long as the gen in the books is a bit home servicing orientated and doesn't contain too much bull****. Hopefully the sale and techy dept's don't get together too often!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Sounds to me like they are adding their own information.
          Maybe they get commission on Toyota aftersales???
          Ian

Comment

Engine coolant/antifreeze is all the same ethylene - glycol based product.It's only the color that varies.As long as you buy the concentrate and mix yourself it should be ok.Some of the premixed which is cheap is 90% water.I use Valvoline and mix myself 50/50.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              Just followed a link to this site www.import-handbooks.co.uk and found this snippet in their sales blurb. I haven't seen it in the tech section so thought it worth a mention. Apologies if it has been discussed before.

" And learning little things like remembering to use Toyota only anti freeze with it's unique inhibitor in the HiLux's and Estimas can help save you almost a grand (the cost of a new head if you ignore this critical tip). "

Interesting...............
              I have now been a Surf owner for 1 month and love the car and was interested to read this thread as I was wondering if the Surf was supposed to use Toyota's own coolant.
              My other car is a Toyota MR2 which I have had for ages and with that car, the handbook recommends that you only use Toyota Forlife coolant which is red in colour and apparently prevents the engine/pipes/radiator from corrosion.
              I have read on other Toyota forums that this coolant is recommended across the range of Toyota car's.
              Funnily enough, Toyota Forlife is only available from Toyota garages and the only way they'll sell it to you is if you pay them to put it in for you....
              As to whether or not you really need it I am unsure. I have always had it put into my MR2 and the head blew on that a couple of years ago so I don't think not using it will have any adverse effects on the surf.
              I'm interested to know if there are any Surf owners out there that actually do use Forlife as their coolant...

Comment

Originally posted by Andyh
                I have now been a Surf owner for 1 month and love the car and was interested to read this thread as I was wondering if the Surf was supposed to use Toyota's own coolant.
                My other car is a Toyota MR2 which I have had for ages and with that car, the handbook recommends that you only use Toyota Forlife coolant which is red in colour and apparently prevents the engine/pipes/radiator from corrosion.
                I have read on other Toyota forums that this coolant is recommended across the range of Toyota car's.
                Funnily enough, Toyota Forlife is only available from Toyota garages and the only way they'll sell it to you is if you pay them to put it in for you....
                As to whether or not you really need it I am unsure. I have always had it put into my MR2 and the head blew on that a couple of years ago so I don't think not using it will have any adverse effects on the surf.
                I'm interested to know if there are any Surf owners out there that actually do use Forlife as their coolant...
                Any decent Antifreeze should have the required corrosion inhibitors in. The only engines that I have ever been carefull about particular makes of antifreeze are thos that have alloy heads and particularly those that have cast iron blocks and alloy heads. Corrosion can be a real issue on those.

Cheers

Comment

I have had my Surf for 18 months now.

When I got it I did the thermostat and flushed the system but the coolant I dropped out was (Toyota red stuff) nice and clear so I put it back in after. It is still nice and clear with no sludge build up so when I do a full service next month I will be trying to get some more from Toyota.

I have had no head problems so far (touch wood) so I will stick with what is working... even if it costs a couple of quid extra...

The hard part is coming to terms with giving my hard earned to a main dealer!!!

Phil.

Comment

The OFFICIAL Toyota 4runner handbook says:
                    Direct quote:

Coolant type: ethylene-glycol antifreeze or anti-corrosive (Toyota "RADIATOR CONDITIONER"' anticorrosive or equivalent)

I presume the 4runner 2lte is the same engine as the Surf 2lte ??
                    Ian

Comment

Don't fall for the 'buy only official blaa, blasa......'

Like Icsys says, the 4Runner manual actually says 'OR EQUIVALENT' so if its the same spec, its good enough.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Some true some not

I well recall buying a new Corolla many years ago. It had the red Forlife coolant in it. You could also buy the stuff from the parts department. I have no reason to suspect that it will only be sold on the basis that it is installed by the dealer.

One additional point, the warranty recalls that are listed on the Ozzie site specifically state that some were due to an interaction between coolants and head or head gasket material. I think that the head problem was down to crappy materials in the head or gasket that got eaten away by some coolants.

I have never given my engine the speedflush treatment as I have a feeling that if there are any cracks etc then they will have been filled by crud long ago. The Surf runs fine, so I just use bog standard 30% self mixed coolant. Using stronger mixes means more chemicals in the system, and alters the boiling point, so it's not a good move. The standard mix won't freeze unless you are off to Siberia, and be honest, if you live south of the Watford gap in our sub-tropical climate, how many sub-zero nights do we actually get?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

I was discussing this topic with Elves (Top Techy- come back ) in the chat room one night. She says don't use flushing agents. Just water to wash the sludge out. She did say that the thin white build up is actually stopping the waterways from corroding any more.
                          I asked my brother about using central heating flush ( once recommended by someone ) he said it will find every weak point going and the Mrs will want to adjust the thermostat because it is raining outside .
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi everyone im not a Surf owner but i am considering buying one and have found this forum very usefull.

Im not sure but are the heads of the Surfs make of alloy? I used to ride an grey import bike and Honda recomended using distilled water mixed with antifreeze at a 50/50 ratio, aparenty the distilled water helps protect the alloy head from corrosion.

Cheers

Mart
                            Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by mart 870
                              Hi everyone im not a Surf owner but i am considering buying one and have found this forum very usefull.

Im not sure but are the heads of the Surfs make of alloy? I used to ride an grey import bike and Honda recomended using distilled water mixed with antifreeze at a 50/50 ratio, aparenty the distilled water helps protect the alloy head from corrosion.

Cheers

Mart
                              Mart.

No the heads on the 2L, 3L, 2LT and 2LTE are good old Pig iron.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X