yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry not Surf related - but any Ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry not Surf related - but any Ideas??

I have upgraded my ISP account with Orange and have received a 'Live Box' which includes FREE phone calls via VOIP.

I already have a router which serves wired & Wireless PC's as well as a remote printer etc. I have tried to run both on one line, but when they are both connected to the phone line - both do not work.

So do I take it that two routers on one line won't go?

Bugger !

Looks like I won't be able to take advantage of the FREE telephone calls from Orange as I don't want to get rid of the original router coz it serves wired as well as wireless PC's and it's set-up with a remote printer as well.

C R A P !!

Unless anyone knows different?
    Last edited by Paff; 15 March 2007, 22:33.
    Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Originally posted by Paff
    I have upgraded my ISP account with Orange and have received a 'Live Box' which includes FREE phone calls via VOIP.

I already have a router which serves wired & Wireless PC's as well as a remote printer etc. I have tried to run both on one line, but when they are both connected to the phone line - both do not work.

So do I take it that two routers on one line won't go?

Bugger !

Looks like I won't be able to take advantage of the FREE telephone calls from Orange as I don't want to get rid of the original router coz it serves wired as well as wireless PC's and it's set-up with a remote printer as well.

C R A P !!

Unless anyone knows dirrerent?

Connect Orange router to phone line, then connect orange router to current router with a cross over cable, this should allow you to continue to use your current system, and take advantage of Orange's nice bonus.

It won't work if you have DHCP on both routers however.
    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Like he said. Use your existing ADSL router as a switch connected to the new ADSL modem/router.

Comment

A crossover cable is a Network cable but the ends are wired up in a Different way. Ask for one by name CROSSOVER CABLE.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik
          Connect Orange router to phone line, then connect orange router to current router with a cross over cable, this should allow you to continue to use your current system, and take advantage of Orange's nice bonus.

It won't work if you have DHCP on both routers however.
          Thanks for the info...

The Live Box is in the hall and the other router is in the study. So if I move the live box to the study (think I have a cross over cable somewhere) and plug it in the socket next to the PC to live box socket, then the cross over cable to the current router things should work?

Should the Orange live box be first from the line in?

That just means that the free voip phone will be in the study.

How can I test the cable I have to see if it's the cross over type?

Check to see if the pins are different ie not a straight wire up?

Which router needs to have DHCP enabled?

Cheers.
          Last edited by Paff; 15 March 2007, 22:41.
          Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Should the Orange live box be first from the line in?
            Yes

That just means that the free voip phone will be in the study.
            Connect up a cordless phone
            How can I test the cable I have to see if it's the cross over type?
            You can compare the ends of the cable, in a crossover the cable colours in pins 1&2 on one end should be the same as pins 3&6 on the other end.
            Check to see if the pins are different ie not a straight wire up?
            See above
            Which router needs to have DHCP enabled?
            The Orange one, turn it off on the other, but check that the scope (your IP range) is the same

Cheers.
            There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Working...
            X