No announcement yet.

Why did you raise and fit bigger tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you raise and fit bigger tyres?

Id be interested to hear your reasons for doing suspension / body lifts and fitting larger tyres.

I know that the objective is to increase ground clearance so that you can tackle more difficult terrain…

BUT, be honest with yourselves, how many of you really needed to do these mods because you where becoming seriously stuck off-road with a standard truck? and how many of you did these mods mainly for the sake of appearance?

Off-road centres are not truly representative of normal conditions in this country. Many of these courses are made to be very challenging in order to test 4x4’s to their extreme limits.

I have driven a number of 4x4 Toyotas (LC & Hilux Pickups) around West Africa in conditions far worse than you will encounter over here… these where all standard trucks without any modifications, and yet they where still very capable.

How many of you switching to 33” tyres actually change the diff gear ratios? Or do you run with standard diffs…… making the already slow 2.4 even slower.

Do any of you regret having raised your truck? Has it spoilt the handling? Made it difficult to get into car parks, council tips ect.?

I see nothing at all wrong with modifying our trucks purely for the sake of appearance. Just interested to hear your views.
    Because I really needed the extra ground clearance.
    44.12%
    Mainly for the improved appearance / image.
    47.06%
    I am happy with my Surf as Standard
    14.71%
    Raised my truck / big tyres, but now whish I hadn’t.
    0%
    Last edited by PDR; 14 March 2007, 14:26.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

You've missed out.
    Wrecked a shock on the way to an off road meet, whilst also suffering from but sag. Before the LC system came about, so decided as I was having to change all shocks and springs might just as well upgrade.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I'm taking the Surf fully loaded on a bit of a road trip, unloaded, the truck with standard suspenders "dragged its arse like a dog with worms" now with the 2" lift and HD springs and dampers it sits nicely when loaded. (still didnt stop me wiping out the tow bar electrics and rear fog lamp last week though whilst green laning )

Paul

Comment

i did it because i could,i wanted to be different.its a toy and i wanted a big toy.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
          i did it because i could,i wanted to be different.its a toy and i wanted a big toy.
          HA HA BIG BOYS DRIVE BIG TOYS.
          Last edited by marky; 14 March 2007, 15:37.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Cos it looks cool!

Simple really.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              Small willy
              is that some kind of small jeep. its not the size of the wand its the magic of the magician.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

It does look good but dont overdo it
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                  is that some kind of small jeep. its not the size of the wand its the magic of the magician.
                  am i BOVERED INNIT GOTTCHA
                  I'm no MAGICIAN so im stuffed
                  Last edited by marky; 14 March 2007, 15:42.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Because I wanted to p*ss off those lentil munching, yoghurt knitting, tree huggers even more than a standard Surf can.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
                      Because I wanted to p*ss off those lentil munching, yoghurt knitting, tree huggers even more than a standard Surf can.
                      Seems like a perfectly sound and logical reason to me
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Hey guys it’s all good.

I may at some future date modify mine purely for the sake of appearance… but seeing as I’ve just bought brand new 31x10.5/15 A/Ts and spent £1100 on the head gaskets, I can’t really justify unnecessary expenditure at this time. My shocks seem Ok and my rear is not sagging, so it is staying as standard for now.

Cheers, Paul
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Mrs Patel paid for my lift kit . It was cheaper to fit lifted kit then replace the worn out standard stuff . But I do wonder if I should have stayed standard as it seems more top heavy now and like it wants to tip over on inclines. I have done that before in the zook , twice.
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

They look cool is a nice side effect, but mostly lift is to clear big tyres and extra artculation, big gnarly tyres and axle flex make for better offroad performace more than any other mod. The extra ground clearance is nice as well, but its mostly for the tyres.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have 33" tyres 2" suspension lift and 1 1/2" body lift soon to be replaced with 4" suspension 3" body and 35" tyres so i can drive over boy racers in vauxhall novas. I also have 6 acres of land which is very wet at the moment and the standard surf simply could'nt cope.
                              The wife has a 2.4 with 4" lift and 31" ATs incase i miss any novas.
                              monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X