SURF with breathing trouble ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SURF with breathing trouble ??

Hi all maybe someone can point me in the right direction here a friend has a 1991 surf jap, import i assume, turbo engine 2.4 diesel i think it's very easy to start first turn of the key and shes off but it is really pressurising the crank case ,if you take of a breather it's pumping out smoke , however it drives well and as i said starts first time
    any thoughts op this i was wondering if maybe the vacum pump was faulty somehow or are there any common problems with this engine ie a split in the head gasket between an oil way or something there is no oil in the water or water in the oil
    twould be a shame to go buying an engine if it's not needed

The more ENGINE techy guys will be on later.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by landkeeper
      Hi all maybe someone can point me in the right direction here a friend has a 1991 surf jap, import i assume, turbo engine 2.4 diesel i think it's very easy to start first turn of the key and shes off but it is really pressurising the crank case ,if you take of a breather it's pumping out smoke , however it drives well and as i said starts first time
      any thoughts op this i was wondering if maybe the vacum pump was faulty somehow or are there any common problems with this engine ie a split in the head gasket between an oil way or something there is no oil in the water or water in the oil

The 2.4's are very prone to cracked heads. If it's blowing out smoke and the crakcase is pressurised it sounds like his head has gone.

Is the water temp ok? Does the exhaust blow out steam? Does the water system pressurise as soon as the engine is fired up?

Get him to get it pressure tested. If the crakcase is like you say it is with the pressure then I would have thought a pressure test will show up any problems.

Comment

No excessive smoke , loads of power and it's not using oil as far as i know , no overheating either in fact it's to all intensant purposes fine apart from the fact if you take out the dipstick or open the oil filler its blowing out a major ammount of hot gas , to the extent i would have thought it should be hard to start with that sort of loss of compression but it kicks up first turn of the key
        puzzled

Comment

No excessive smoke , loads of power and it's not using oil as far as i know , no overheating either in fact it's to all intensant purposes fine apart from the fact if you take out the dipstick or open the oil filler its blowing out a major ammount of hot gas , to the extent i would have thought it should be hard to start with that sort of loss of compression but it kicks up first turn of the key
          puzzled

Maybe his rings are worn and he is getting blow by. But this (i would have thought) would make it smoke quite a bit??

Comment

yes i'd agree with you on that also it should be hard to start and be down on power should it not??

Comment

yes i'd agree with you on that also it should be hard to start and be down on power should it not??

I don't think it would effect the power so much, with worn rings. Depends how worn they are. They may be worn enough to cause the pressure he is getting. Bear in mind when the engine is cold it is tighter, so it starts ok. When it warms up, everything expands and the gap in the rings becomes more of an issue.

Try starting the engine from cold. As soon as it fires up get the oil filler cap off and then the dipstick (alternately) and see if you are getting the same amount of pressure coming through as when it's hot?

Comment

The only sure-fire way to check the rings (without dismantling the engine) is to compression test it. It depends on what you call pumping out smoke, the missus 2.4 does breathe but I would expect that on an engine that is 16 years old, there would possibly be a loss of power if the compression was low.

If the pressure was really bad it would force the oil out of every available orifice! (ooh err missus)
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                X