Head removal update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head removal update

Ok, after another days work I have finally got the head off the block.

Got a mate to help me lift it off. There are three things you need to know here.
    1) Make sure the heater pipe that goes round the back of the head is removed from the rubber end going up to the heater switch.
    2) There is a little vacuum pipe that runs along the top of the block by the join with the head that goes from the vacuum pump to all the altitude compensation gubbins etc. It is bolted to the block via two bolts, but runs up to the back of the throttle body. This needs removing before attempting to remove the head, otherwise you will bend the fu*k out of it like I did.
    3) Watch the fuel lines when taking out. Mine got a bit bent, but I think they will be ok.

I have inspected the head quickly and the top of the block. I can't honestly see where the problem is. The block looks ok (I hope to god it hasn't got an internal crack) and so does the head. There is a crack in No4 combustion chamber plug, but I can't see this causing the problem. If I can't find a place that can pressure test the head I will have to get another one. Thing is, it may just be the head gasket thats gone. Looks all good though from what I've seen.

Apart from that the engine is very clean, hardly no carbon anywhere and looks like new.

Here are some pictures.

Good stuff, its not always heads on the 3.0, I've done just as many H/Gaskets as heads on these.

Make sure you check properly between the valves, on the little scooped out bit, this is normally where they crack.

Wouldn't hurt to get it pressure tested though.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Good stuff, its not always heads on the 3.0, I've done just as many H/Gaskets as heads on these.

Make sure you check properly between the valves, on the little scooped out bit, this is normally where they crack.

Wouldn't hurt to get it pressure tested though.

Tony,

Have a close look at the first photo and the crack. It runs past where the metal ring on the head gasket is that seals the bore. As it runs past the sealing ring, do you think the combustion gasses are running in between the block/head into a coolant gallery??

This would explain the coolant system pressurising immediately on start up, but no signs of contamination of the oil or water and no overheating.

What do you think??

Cheers mate.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        Tony,

Have a close look at the first photo and the crack. It runs past where the metal ring on the head gasket is that seals the bore. As it runs past the sealing ring, do you think the combustion gasses are running in between the block/head into a coolant gallery??

This would explain the coolant system pressurising immediately on start up, but no signs of contamination of the oil or water and no overheating.

What do you think??

Cheers mate.
        no swirl chambers allways have cracks in them,
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan
          but that picture is spooky, looks like a kid crying?
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

None of the others have cracks in, and the crack goes past where the sealing ring is on the gasket. There is no crack anywhere else as far as I can see. I might get them changed and get the head pressure tested just in case. Might save me over a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan
              Yeah, All 4 of Linda's where like that, its generally not much to worry about, if you have a spidersweb of cracks that could lead to a piece falling out, then change them.

But L's where like that 4 years ago when her head gasket blew, and when I rebuilt the bottom end last summer, they hadn't changed.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

But would this crack cause my coolant pressurisation problem?

When I undone one of the head bolts near to that cylinder, I could see air escaping up thru the bolt. The problem is up near that end..

Comment

Working...
                X