Info V zippo !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Check the harmonic balencer!

Cheers for the info Tony, the pump impellor is shaft driven direct from the belt and is new so no probs there (I hope).

Block was OK and the bolts were torqued as the 4 runner 'cos the Surf aint listed on Autodata and the specs I found here were vague.

I hear you re the gas test and will get the Wurth rep to drop a testing kit in asap an test my coolant mud.

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
      "Check the harmonic balencer!

Cheers for the info Tony, the pump impellor is shaft driven direct from the belt and is new so no probs there (I hope).
      I see a lot off bottom crank pulley (balencer) problems, the hub and outer ring where the belts go are seperated by a rubber section, this is the balencer, people pull the crank pulley off using a 3/2 leg puller, and you can break the glue holding it together, thats why you should use a proper puller and the 2 threaded holes in the hub.

If this is slipping, the belts won't be driving the pump properly, the outer bit there the belts go will be slipping on the hub.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I see a lot off bottom crank pulley (balencer) problems, the hub and outer ring where the belts go are seperated by a rubber section, this is the balencer, people pull the crank pulley off using a 3/2 leg puller, and you can break the glue holding it together, thats why you should use a proper puller and the 2 threaded holes in the hub.

If this is slipping, the belts won't be driving the pump properly, the outer bit there the belts go will be slipping on the hub.
        I'd have thought that would make a hell of a noise? mine did.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

It's all true! I bought a 2.4 with the head replaced and all paperwork. Only problem was the fcukwit who replaced the head had cocked up the crank pulley and it overheated again and that was the end of head number 2 and the beginning of my strange throwing money at surfs habit.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
            Mine did once it was totally destroyed but it normally just made a quiet chirruping sound that I assumed was nothing major....

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
              Not always, but yeah, most squeak like loose V belts on idle, then the noise goes away when reving it. When its really loose and starts chewing through the cam cover it makes more noise.

Comment

Not always, but yeah, most squeak like loose V belts on idle, then the noise goes away when reving it. When its really loose and starts chewing through the cam cover it makes more noise.

Ah, happy memories.

Like a seal being tortured I recall.

Comment

Mine started with the chirroping, so I looked under the bonnet and noticed the pulley moving in and out slightly,so posted on the forum and got sound advice.
                  While waiting for the new pulley to arrive I noticed it was rubbing on the timing belt cover so stopped driving it until I changed the pully, but I never experienced any overheating ( that I noticed) that is until the head finally went some months later.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

For those who are interested...

Checked the coolant for gasses and the head looks OK this time so I flushed out the cooling mud AGAIN so fingers crossed alyhough I intent to flush a few more times this month, gawd knows where this stinkin orange mud came from but the system is full of it even after todays second fill the water was mingin again after 5 mins

Whats next......Freelander or Frontera

Comment

Whats next......Freelander or Frontera
                      Trust me, you don't want a freelander! I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy, let alone someone who's just a grumpy old git sometimes.....

If you mix original Jap Toyota coolant with the blue or green aftermarket stuff we use over here, it does sometimes turn to orange mush. Maybe you had a few pockets of it not flushed out.

Comment

Will try a herbalist and some Chinese meds next then onto Lourds.
                        Ahahah, nice one mate, hope you get it sorted out though

the effer
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Freelanders ..The 1800 K petrol Rover engine

We recover aprox one per month Tony, sh!tty cooling system cant cope (yes worse than the Surf) and the plastic cylinder liner spacers melt = liners meet crank, some dafti's replace the head gasket only to get a major dissy on day one.

I dont think the gunk in the Surf was coolant I looks and reeks like rusty water / mud and probably is the p!ss poured by Toyo when new, on it's third flush and still mingin

Comment

Working...
                          X