Never in my life....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never in my life....

have I worked on such a nightmare vehicle as my Surf. I have spent all day stripping my engine, and seemed to have stood still.

Most of the work is removing all these little hoses from every sensor known to man. Then you have all the electrical connectors that on some you push at the front and others you push in from the back, but all are facing the wrong way so you can't see where to push.

Then there is the exhaust and intake manifolds. The turbo/exhaust flange has three nuts holding it on. The two outer ones are easy to undo. But the third next to the head, what a fuc*ing bas*ard. I had to remove the metal heater pipe from the top of the thermostat so that I could push it (the slight movement undoing it gives you) out the way just enough to get a long socket onto it. I'm using an 18" power bar to crack the nuts.
    The intake manifold is no better. This has all this BACS (some altitude compensation system thingy) system fitted to the bulkhead side of it with all these sensor type things, little rubber hoses and electrical connectors attached. I've marked the hoses, but by the time I have to refit, god only knows where they are all going to go. Then there is the injector pipes running over the intake manifold. What a $$$$ design this is. Oh and don't forget the aircon pump that has to be removed and it's bracket after.

I have still got to remove the injector pipes, injectors, camshaft pulley, timing belt and tensioner, head, manifolds etc,etc.

If you want my advice, if yours goes, book yours in with TonyN and let him do all the work. Believe me, it's worth paying someone to do this job...

Oh, and just to add. I would have had my Defender stripped and rebuilt in the time it took me to get that poxy exhaust nut off.

so was it difficult ??
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Dont forget all the hose clips that pliers and all manner of other grippy things dont fit. You know the ones, they have been scabbing the back of your hands all day.
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
        so was it difficult ??

I haven't even finished stripping it yet.......

Muchos Respectos to the man Tony. How he does these day after day I will never know...

Comment

Yeah! their cr@p these toyota's
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            Dont forget all the hose clips that pliers and all manner of other grippy things dont fit. You know the ones, they have been scabbing the back of your hands all day.

Yeah, and also the fan when trying to get an English arm down a Nips gap to get a wrench on the crank pulley to turn the engine over to align the timing marks.

That fan has took the skin off the back of my right hand.

Also I replaced my rear silencer on my Defender yesterday. I had to reuse the bolts from the intermediate to rear flange as Land Rover gave me the wrong ones. While wire brushing the bolts, the wire went straight into my left thumb. Pushed all the grease in with it. It's been throbbing all day.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
              trying to get an English arm down a Nips gap I replaced my rear flange. Pushed all the grease in with it. It's been throbbing all day.

just thought i'd pick out the important bits!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                just thought i'd pick out the important bits!

Even I have to laugh at that.... First smile I've had all day...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                  Muchos Respectos to the man Tony. How he does these day after day I will never know...
                  To be honest, the 3.0 are easy, 2.4 have far less room, and less logically set out. When you do things in the right order, its pretty easy. 2.4's are genuine skin removers.

Everything seems hard the first time.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    you get used to the throbbing?
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

To be honest, the 3.0 are easy, 2.4 have far less room, and less logically set out. When you do things in the right order, its pretty easy. 2.4's are genuine skin removers.

Yeah, I suppose when you have a system in place and know which bits to leave on and which bits to take off it's easier. But I still have to say that I think they could have done a lot better making it easier to work on.

Whatever peoples views are on Land Rover Defenders (upto the 200TDI) they are a thousand times easier to work on than one of these. I even lifted the hood on mine today just to compare. Oh the room, the ease of stripping it down, I nearly stabbed myself to death with a screwdriver as at that point I had lost the will to live.

Well, got it all again tomorrow, if the weather is ok.

Comment

yeah i remember the first time?
                        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          you get used to the throbbing?
                          snigger

beat bushwacker to it!
                          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                            Ive got some SURGICAL CLAMPS that are brill for doing that job
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

I have a pet time served BMW mechi in my employ and he got the "head" job 'cos he is used to working on over the top overcomplicated poo but even he cursed the Surf.

Comment

Working...
                              X