Tony, need your expert advice again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony, need your expert advice again

Can you remove the head with all the manifolds still attatched?

Mine has this BACS system fitted and there is all this gubbins fitted to the end of the intake manifold, including a big pipe from the exhaust manifild.

Also I have noticed that the injector pipes run above the intake manifold, so they have to come off befor the manifold.

If I remove the three turbo/exhaust manifold nuts and take the injector pipes off, will the head come off with all the manifolds still attached? The pipe bracket that is attached to the rear of the head is impossible to remove with the head in place as I can't get at the bolts that hold the bracket on.

Cheers Tony. I know it's abit cheeky keep asking for advice.

Andy

I already answered some in your other thread, also, leave the injector pipes on the injectors, just undo them from the pump, leave all the manifolds on, this avoids messing with a EGR pipe. Just undo the electrical plugs.

The Turbo nuts I've covered, you don't need to mess with the heater pipe, just pull the rubber hoses off from by the turbo, and pull them out the way.

Leave the cam pully on, and the back plate, it has 3 or 4 10mm bolts holding it on to the block, one is covered by the cam belt tensioner pully.

The P/S reserviour just hangs out the way on its pipe.

The dip stick just pulls out after removing the top from manifold nut.

Take the bonnet off, its far easier. I always lift the heads of with an engine crane.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

Cheers Tony. I know it's abit cheeky keep asking for advice.

Andy

Buy blue star, it'll make you feel much better!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I already answered some in your other thread, also, leave the injector pipes on the injectors, just undo them from the pump, leave all the manifolds on, this avoids messing with a EGR pipe. Just undo the electrical plugs.

The Turbo nuts I've covered, you don't need to mess with the heater pipe, just pull the rubber hoses off from by the turbo, and pull them out the way.

Leave the cam pully on, and the back plate, it has 3 or 4 10mm bolts holding it on to the block, one is covered by the cam belt tensioner pully.

The P/S reserviour just hangs out the way on its pipe.

The dip stick just pulls out after removing the top from manifold nut.

Take the bonnet off, its far easier. I always lift the heads of with an engine crane.

Cheers Tony, just seen your other reply. Just a question about the back plate. You said leave it on, so does it stay on the block? I take it I have to remove these 10mm bolts from the head only?

No engine crane I'm affraid. Does this lot weigh tonnes? When removing the head, is it a good idea to give it a whack with a plastic mallet?

Cheers dude.

Comment

Nah, you want to be undoing the bolts from the back plate to the block, so the plate stays on the head.

I've never needed to hit them, it won't be light, you'll need help, but it least its not a cast iron 2.4 head!!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Nah, you want to be undoing the bolts from the back plate to the block, so the plate stays on the head.

I've never needed to hit them, it won't be light, you'll need help, but it least its not a cast iron 2.4 head!!

Thanks Tony.

It's an alloy head, so can't be that heavy, but with all the manifolds in place it's going to be pretty heavy. I've already had one Hernia, I don't want another, it's not very pleasent....

By the way, the heads Stevo supplies, are they brand NEW genuine Toyota heads or rebuilt? Also do they come with all the studs attached to fix the manifolds in place? I take it the built ones have had all the valve gaps done, valves reground and lapped in etc?

Comment

Working...
            X