Power gains from 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    I would imagine it is only effective up to a point on the 2.4 as well, for the same reason. An adjustment of the fuel pump AND a few washers under the turbo wastegate might result in more power than the fuel pump tweak alone, but would probably result in more heat to dispense with too.
    The extra heat is the reason that both Sancho and I put the freeflow exhaust first on the list. Extra bit of gain, but the ability to transfer the extra heat away more quickly. If you're going for an IP mod, having the IP properly bench tuned would be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      Cant say I've ever looked at the 3.0 one.

I know where you're going though. I dont know whether there is any ECU control over the boost or whether it's purely mechanical. If it is mechanical, throwing more fuel in will just result in wasted fuel after a point as there wont be an increased amount of air for a stoichiowhatsit burn.

I would imagine it is only effective up to a point on the 2.4 as well, for the same reason. An adjustment of the fuel pump AND a few washers under the turbo wastegate might result in more power than the fuel pump tweak alone, but would probably result in more heat to dispense with too.

I guess there's nothing for it. I need to have a play!

A mate has been trying to sell me his old water injection kit today, and trying to convince me to fit a front mount intercooler.
      Water injection sounds like fun

If you've followed the debate on the 2.4s, general consensus seems to be that the point at which you're wasting fuel is when you start producing black smoke i.e. unburnt fuel (as you say), so you turn it down a little bit from there.

The problem with turning the fuel pump up is that you are running a rich mix even when you don't need it so you're using more fuel than you need to. Presumably, the idea of a bobbox is that it 'enriches' the mix when it notices your foot going down hard but not other times, so doesn't have the same problem. The adjuster on it is essentially the same as the fuel pump screw, it governs how much fuel it dumps in there when you floor it, the 'clever' bit is that it turns it back down again afterwards.

Worth reading this thread out of interest maybe.

Anyway, I put it last on the list. I reckon doing everything that you know will work should keep you busy and your wallet empty .

Comment

That Bankspower link that Terry posted will contain some useful info, in that thread that Sancho linked to, and Terry's info on the Oz forum:

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8972

deals specifically with the injector pump.

Comment

Hi all. Just been playing catch up of the days chatter. I am very much in the dark about diesel's and ways of getting more power out of them. So i did a bit of a trip round the web and came up with this site. http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/tuningmethods_plus.shtml
          Some interesting info in there, well worth a read before you do any turbo etc mods.
          I must say, you lot do some yacking on, i cant keep up with some of you. lol.
          Hope you all have had a good day Phil

Comment

Originally posted by magnum
            I must say, you lot do some yacking on, i cant keep up with some of you. lol.
            They're terrible for it, aren't they.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              They're terrible for it, aren't they.
              They deffo are..mind you Matt your not far behind them.

Comment

This is an interesting thread.

As my 3.0lt has just decided to die on me (cause as yet unknown as the weather is preventing me getting the head off), I would air on the side of caution unless you know your engine is in tip top condition.

I think there are various ways that you can up the power.

Lighter stronger pistons, crank and cam uprated, getting the head done, better exhaust, get the ECU chipped, change the Turbo for a hybrid.

OR, why not rip the engine out and fit a Rover V8. Those engines have whole industries employed in the art of getting more out of an engine.

Comment

Working...
                X