Diagnostic help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnostic help needed.

I think either my head may have gone or the head gasket...

I popped the bonnet at work to check the levels before driving home from work and noticed that the level in my header tank was about an inch above where it usually is.

I opened the rad cap and there was about an inch of air in the rad. This is bad. It's usually right to the top.

So I thought that maybe there was air getting in on the little hoses that run to the header tank??

I drove home and opened bonnet again. The level in the header tank was near to the top, and had discharged coolant over the battery tray. On opening the header tank cap I noticed that there is air bubbles blowing through the hose that sits in the tank.

As I opened the main cap, very gently, it was blowing lots of air into the header tank. I topped the rad up and ran the engine. When you put your ear to the rad cap you can hear air bubbling inside. On squezzing the top hose with the rad cap on you can hear the thermostat make a little rattle noise.

I've checked the hoses, no visible leaks. The rad is almost brand new, as is the rad cap. The oil is fine, no water contamination. Inside the rocker cap is fine, no milky residue. The temperature gauge sits bang on where it usually sits.

I ran the engine while hot and turned off. The air bubbles were still coming out of the header pipe even with the engine off.

Please can anyone give me some ideas???? I have topped the rad up and am waiting for it to cool down to see if it sucks the coolant back into the system. HELP!!!!

Originally posted by M35A2
    I think either my head may have gone or the head gasket...

I popped the bonnet at work to check the levels before driving home from work and noticed that the level in my header tank was about an inch above where it usually is.

I opened the rad cap and there was about an inch of air in the rad. This is bad. It's usually right to the top.

So I thought that maybe there was air getting in on the little hoses that run to the header tank??

I drove home and opened bonnet again. The level in the header tank was near to the top, and had discharged coolant over the battery tray. On opening the header tank cap I noticed that there is air bubbles blowing through the hose that sits in the tank.

As I opened the main cap, very gently, it was blowing lots of air into the header tank. I topped the rad up and ran the engine. When you put your ear to the rad cap you can hear air bubbling inside. On squezzing the top hose with the rad cap on you can hear the thermostat make a little rattle noise.

I've checked the hoses, no visible leaks. The rad is almost brand new, as is the rad cap. The oil is fine, no water contamination. Inside the rocker cap is fine, no milky residue. The temperature gauge sits bang on where it usually sits.

I ran the engine while hot and turned off. The air bubbles were still coming out of the header pipe even with the engine off.

Please can anyone give me some ideas???? I have topped the rad up and am waiting for it to cool down to see if it sucks the coolant back into the system. HELP!!!!
    sounds like the inevitable.
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Before you start pounding the floor and crying, it might be worth sticking another/the old rad cap on. Could be one of the seals on the new one playings silly b@stards.

Comment

get it gas tested mate, but it does sound ominous
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I don't think it's the rad cap. Although it might be faulty even though it's new, it wouldn't cause the air being pumped into the header tank.

The strange thing is that it still pumps air into the header tank even after i switch the engine off. Maybe the coolant is leaking into the cylinder and the result is steam blow back. This could be the gasket, but there is no contamination, which probably means the head.

I will have to get the truck pressure tested to see what the problem is.

Just called my mate at Toyota. A brand new head, head gasket, head bolts, thermostat and seal and a decoke set for all the manifold gaskets etc £1439.38 inc.

I will see how much Stevo will charge.

I fell like myself.....

Comment

You need to get the coolant tested for combustion gases, it could be a head or gasket. If it passes replace the stat and the cap and see how it goes.

My history on 3.0's that are pumping water is 50/50 gasket vs actual heads.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just called my mate at Toyota. A brand new head, head gasket, head bolts, thermostat and seal and a decoke set for all the manifold gaskets etc £1439.38 inc.

I will see how much Stevo will charge.
              Far less than that! £900ish gets you a genuine head and gasket, plus cam belt, head bolts and gasket, all built with a cam in it and valve lash set, and delivered.

Comment

thats how mine was, i hoped it was just the gasket but it was the head.
                colin

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Far less than that! £900ish gets you a genuine head and gasket, plus cam belt, head bolts and gasket, all built with a cam in it and valve lash set, and delivered.

Tony,

How long does the job take the first time you do it? Is it a nightmare to do? I've done Landy heads and they are easy, but this mother looks a ba*tard what with all the extras on it.

Stevo's genuine heads. Are they brand new or exchange? My mate at Toyota said that they sell both, although he did say it's cheaper to buy a brand new head rather than an exchange unit. Does Stevo require the old heads?

Comment

Steve needs your old head back, mostly for the cam and valves, the s$$$$ped head goes in the bin.

He supplies a brand new casting, with a used cam and valves in it (obviously all parts cleaned and checked they are OK) Then he installs the valves and cam, and sets all the valve lash gaps for you, which is a PITA to do youself, as they use expensive shims in buckets.

I assume your mate means a bare head, or a built one. Obviously the bare head will be cheaper, but you'll spend ages swappping the cam and valves out. The exchange one will go back for the cam and valves, if you buy a bare head there is no point in taking the old one back.

You don't need to worry about Steve's work, its are top notch.

It takes me a good long day from start to finish, but I normally spread it over two days, including a good run to check everythings OK so nothing gets rushed. I'd rather take my time.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      Steve needs your old head back, mostly for the cam and valves, the s$$$$ped head goes in the bin.

He supplies a brand new casting, with a used cam and valves in it (obviously all parts cleaned and checked they are OK) Then he installs the valves and cam, and sets all the valve lash gaps for you, which is a PITA to do youself, as they use expensive shims in buckets.

I assume your mate means a bare head, or a built one. Obviously the bare head will be cheaper, but you'll spend ages swappping the cam and valves out. The exchange one will go back for the cam and valves, if you buy a bare head there is no point in taking the old one back.

You don't need to worry about Steve's work, its are top notch.

It takes me a good long day from start to finish, but I normally spread it over two days, including a good run to check everythings OK so nothing gets rushed. I'd rather take my time.

Hi mate.

Yes, that price from Toyota was for a brand new head, head gasket set, head bolts, thermostat and seal, and a decoke set for all the other gaskets. NOT a built head.

So if I got one of Stevo's heads, is it built to the point of just fitting, or do I have to put the pulley etc onto the new head??

It is confirmed. I let the truck cool down and opened up the rad. The coolant was down to the top veins, is a muddy colour and when I fired the truck up within 20 secs the top hose was solid due to the pressure.

Cheers dude

F**KING AR*E........

Comment

So if I got one of Stevo's heads, is it built to the point of just fitting, or do I have to put the pulley etc onto the new head??
                        Nah, built means with cam, valves and valve lash set. You'll need your cam pully, injectors, glows, manifolds, random metal work, etc swapping on.

(don't forget the little moon shaped bit at the rear of the head, that fills the cam drilling cutout, everyone does and then it pi$$es oil everywhere when you start it up.)

Comment

Cheers dude.

I'm going to pull the thermostat first, just in case....

Comment

Fingers crossed for you that it is something minor, Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                              Fingers crossed for you that it is something minor, Andy.

Thanks mate.

It's come at a very bad time. If I'm going to Canada I need to sell everything off. Can't do that when I'm spending 1,000's on sorting my truck out.

Comment

Working...
                              X