Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Thought I would say hi!

Hi all,

Bought my first surf on Tuesday. Pick it up tomorrow and can't wait. Its a 1994 3.0L TD Auto SSRX.

I do alot of surfing and biking so she will be perfect for me. I cant wait to get modding her and feel a phone call to alisport coming before the summer to sort a intercooler and chip module!

I have some questions though, if you don't mind. Did a few searches but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Firstly, I dont really need a lift kit as the tracks to the beaches/bike tracks are nothing for a surf. I would like improved handling so can you get uprated standard height springs? I plan on teaming them with es9000 shocks. Hopefully this will lead to a nice handling truck on the road. Seem reasonable?

Secondly whats the tyre of choice for road use? And in what size?

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you around

Ryan

Originally posted by strugrat
    Hi all,

Bought my first surf on Tuesday. Pick it up tomorrow and can't wait. Its a 1994 3.0L TD Auto SSRX.

I do alot of surfing and biking so she will be perfect for me. I cant wait to get modding her and feel a phone call to alisport coming before the summer to sort a intercooler and chip module!

I have some questions though, if you don't mind. Did a few searches but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Firstly, I dont really need a lift kit as the tracks to the beaches/bike tracks are nothing for a surf. I would like improved handling so can you get uprated standard height springs? I plan on teaming them with es9000 shocks. Hopefully this will lead to a nice handling truck on the road. Seem reasonable?

Ryan
    Hi m8, can't answer ya questions because i'm newish aswell but there's some top guy's here that can. Welcome.

Comment

welcome along.

You can get stronger rear springs from Milners. ES9000s certainly seem to be the choice of the firm-ride fans and I think they will have more effect that springs. Surfs actually handle quite well for such big beasts, certainly much better than anything else of a similar size that I've ever driven. Don't mention lowering unless you want to be banned from the forum. You could try wheel spacers to widen the track a little bit too.

I love regurgitating this stuff. I get to sound so informed.

Standard tyre size is 31x10.5x15 (I think). Most will recommend BFG A/Ts as a good tyre, although there are plenty of others (General Grabber and Greenway mostly) that people seem to like. BFG also do Long Trail (road with some off road capability) and Tarmacadam (road) tyres. I don't know what they're like, but I will probably get Long Trails put on next time.

Comment

road use???? pah, you'll chuck some muds on it and come out and play in the $$$$ with us!!
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Hi all,

Ryan

Hello mate, welcome to the nut house.

This thread needs pictures, so post some of your truck ASAP. What colour is it, I hope you bought the fastest????

My truck has the standard Toyota hard and soft and this is perfectly good on the road, especially in hard mode

You need to tell us what rims you have on your truck?

If they are standard offset 8 rims, then the tyres will be 265/70R/15 in size, this is the factory fitted standard size (I know, as I checked with my mate at Toyota the other day). You can get road tyres no problem in this size, but All Terrain tyres in this size are harder to get (as I'm looking now)

These are the muts nuts, and they are the right size. It's just trying to get them that's the problem....

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...berat2_en.html
          Last edited by M35A2; 15 February 2007, 18:34.

Comment

Welcome

http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm do 20% uprated springs. ES 9000s are supposed to give quite a stiff ride. Know little about road tyres other than the Japanese ones that are on most of them when they come over don't like the wet. 31/10.50 is the maximum you can go without a lift, and what mine had on when i got it, don't know what standard is though. I think some had these from the factory and some had a slightly smaller tyre.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Thanks for all the fast reply's guys. I will go and check milners out, its only in Matlock afterall. Be rude not too. Are they the standard height then? I thought they were lifted ones?

I'll stick some pictures on as soon as I can. Its a blue over grey truck and seemed in pretty good order when I looked at it. Though I was probably too excited to check half the things on my list. Ooops.

I know out of the three I drove this one had by far the strongest engine. Hopefully thats a good thing.

No hard or soft button on this one though. No matter is I'm going to get es9000s anyway. Which, reminds me wheres the cheapest place?

Lowering! No thanks - if I do that I may as well have bought a normal estate

Comment

Forgot.

Milners do the rear springs 20% uprated. Whats the best plan of attack for the front? Standard height uprated torsion bars maybe? (I have no clue about 4x4 suspension)

Comment

Forgot.

Milners do the rear springs 20% uprated. Whats the best plan of attack for the front? Standard height uprated torsion bars maybe? (I have no clue about 4x4 suspension)
                  the torsion bars i wouldn't think you would need to renew.If the front is sitting a bit lower after you put new springs on then just crank the front end up a bit on the t/bars until it sits level

heres the info on doing the torsion bars
                  http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/torsion_bars/
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I got the ES 9000's and they are quite STIFF, so with hind site as I am mainly road use, I'd go for the ES 3000, I went for Coopers STT, which look great, and in mud are faultless, but maybe the ST's would e a better mixed use tyre.

The pic on the left is the STT 20% on road, 80% off road.

The pic on the right is the ST, 40% on road, 60% off road.

Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by plumb bob; 15 February 2007, 20:09.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

hi and welcome to surf emporium of pleasure.as some on here have said before,es9000s with 20%stronger milners springs is the way to go,and just tweak the front torsion bars to level everything up.if you fancy a slightly softer ride go for the es3000,but remember the surf is not a sports car,dont expect it to handle like one.but the most important thing is enjoy it.and watch out for that
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        I love regurgitating this stuff. I get to sound so informed.

Welcome to the zoo mate. With regards to springs, if you're not bothered about a lift, get the 20% ones from Milner's for the Surf. They alone make a vastly noticeable difference to handling if the originals are wanting. With regards to shocks, depends on what exactly you want. The ES3000's apparently give a slightly firmer ride than the original shocks in soft mode. The ES9000's, on the other hand, if you have the tyre pressures set above 30'ish, will give your arse cheeks an impression of every single surface graduation on the road. As someone on here once said, you can drive over a ten bob bit and can tell whether it's heads or tails.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

Welcome to the zoo mate. With regards to springs, if you're not bothered about a lift, get the 20% ones from Milner's for the Surf. They alone make a vastly noticeable difference to handling if the originals are wanting. With regards to shocks, depends on what exactly you want. The ES3000's apparently give a slightly firmer ride than the original shocks in soft mode. The ES9000's, on the other hand, if you have the tyre pressures set above 30'ish, will give your arse cheeks an impression of every single surface graduation on the road. As someone on here once said, you can drive over a ten bob bit and can tell whether it's heads or tails.

You're not allowed to say arse!

D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            You're not allowed to say arse!

D'oh!

Comment

stick with the e9000's , at least you wont wallow around the corners ,i've got the milner springs with jotto's spacers and the e9000;s dont find it too firm a ride

ermmmm forgot WELCOME
                              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Working...
                              X