What the.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the.....?

This has me baffled. Two years ago I fitted a pair of Hella spots which had a side light feature as well. I carefully wired them in making up a bar for the relays and an additional fusebox. Everything workrd fine so if I wanted I could, with the side lights have my spot lights on with a 5w bulb and with main beam, again switched if I wanted them, main beam on the spots. Hope this is making sense so far. Then, a few months ago the 5w bulbs in the spots were a bit hit and miss. Jiggling the wires feeding them that were just in front of the rad would bring them on. Suspecting one of the notorious scotch bloc connecters (used as my soldering iron packed up on the day I chose to install them) I, this morning decided to sort it out.

Three wires going to each lamp, one for ground, one for side light and the other for main beam. So why when I switched on the side lights Two of the wires were showing live, although the bulbs were not lit. When I put on the heads and main beam all three wires showed live. Where had the earth gone? Still not soldered as my wife found me something which she thought was more important to do, but working ok now - until the wires are disturbed of course.

Strange?

Are the relays clean around the terminals, and not damp/dirty causing tracking?(shorting)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Are the relays clean around the terminals, and not damp/dirty causing tracking?(shorting)
      Thanks Vince, yes, checked this as thought same as you. All seems fine there and no corrosion around fuse box. All the wires look clean with only the scotch blocks looking a little tired. Cleaned the little plastic blades in them with a blade so connections should be fine for the time being. Just cannot work out why the tester was giving reults it did at the socket.

Comment

The main beam is negative switched so you have a live to it all the time, this will feed back to the sidelights and give you a live on both terminals when the sidelights are switched off.

On second thoughts I havn't explained that very well but Ive got to take the dogs out so I'll try again when I get back.
        Last edited by paulh; 11 February 2007, 17:18.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          The main beam is negative switched so you have a live to it all the time, this will feed back to the sidelights and give you a live on both terminals when the sidelights are switched off.

On second thoughts I havn't explained that very well but Ive got to take the dogs out so I'll try again when I get back.
          No, this makes sense. So instead of the switch letting a live current to the lamps it is allowing a negatine or ground connection. This explains why I would have say two live feeds, but three? How would anything work without an earth?

Comment

I could explain it a lot better if I could do you a drawing but I don't have the facilities, but if the common wire i.e. the one that is connected to both lamps is not actually earthed it will show 12v, only when you earth it will the 12v no longer show.
            Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Concentrate on checking your ground connections, not the feeds.

Comment

Thanks for the replies I will check these out.

Comment

Working...
                X