Spotlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlights

During the winter we often go out caravanning but the biggest problem is reversing onto a pitch at night especially if the lighting on the site is poor or virually non-existent.
    I considered fitting a roof rack with spotlights mounted at the very ends, but spotlights that can bend outwards as the caravan is wider than the vehicle. That would then allow me to see down both sides of the caravan and also illuminate anything behind the caravan to a degree. The problem here is wiring into the car. Not sure how that can be done.
    The alternative is to mount a spotlight on the upper part of the front pillar on the driver's side. Although this will only illuminate one side of the caravan it is better than nothing but I will then be able to control the spotlight by hand but I am not sure if this is legal.
    Has any one mounted spotlights like the two scenarios described? Which one do you think will be the best position and how would one go about wiring it up whether on the roof rack or on the door pillar? Must admit the door pillar sounds the easier option but will it be safe from yabos?

I have a hand movable one on the back which I just mounted into the roof.
    Id go for the roofbar solution or mount them on the back of the roof. Wiring isnt too bad as you can go down one side of the car then up behind the back plastics and through the roof.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

What about underneath the vehicle? You'll get a usable light spread from there as well.

Comment

Matts got the right idea.

Fit a couple of slimline lights under the caravan, wire then to the reversing light grey socket so that when you are reversing they will automatically light the way. There is usually somethig similar on swift motorhomes (obviously without the grey socket as they are wired into the vehicle electrics)

Minimal cost: 2 lights £15.00, 2 x lengths of wire (live & earth) £3.00 look on others faces as you reverse with perfect illumination --- PRICELESS

hope this helps

hawaii
        I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

if its just for see behind and up the side of your van i would find somwhere on the van and use the reverse circuit maybe some of the small halford type rubber halogen spots there small and would look ok on your van

Comment

Working...
          X