So what's better in snow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's better in snow?

OK we're all Surf owners and we love them. But aside from we can take our surfs anywhere attitude which is better in snow on the road.

Small light Kangoo, narrow tyres or the big heavy surf on 31's?

I'm not sure the answer is the surf..................

Dave

Originally posted by Ballibeg
    OK we're all Surf owners and we love them. But aside from we can take our surfs anywhere attitude which is better in snow on the road.

Small light Kangoo, narrow tyres or the big heavy surf on 31's?

I'm not sure the answer is the surf..................

Dave
    genarally the more tyre surface to road, gives more grip and less likely to slip but tread also comes in to it, so if narrow big tread tyres and 31s slicks are compared id go for narrows but who got slick 31s?
    zacco

Comment

4wd anything will be better than 2wd in snow and ice.

Narrow vs wide tyres on similar cars in the snow is a different argument.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We used to have a little 950 popula plus fiesta that ran on what looked like wheel barrow wheels.Went anywhere, But if you were comeing up to a drift, you had to take a run at it, and bulldoze your way through
        Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91
          ..............but who got slick 31s?

I did 'till I got my new ones fitted on wednesday!
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 February 2007, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            I did 'till I got my new one's fitted on wednesday!
            yep! me too!
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
              We used to have a little 950 popula plus fiesta that ran on what looked like wheel barrow wheels.Went anywhere, But if you were comeing up to a drift, you had to take a run at it, and bulldoze your way through
              I used to have an 850 mini that was the same, cost a fortune in front number plates though
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                I did 'till I got my new ones fitted on wednesday!
                lol didnt think of baldies
                zacco

Comment

Tyre wise, narrow tyres tend to dig down and bite on the lower surfaces, wide tyres spread the load across the upper surface, so dig down less. If you're above a layer of ice, neither will make a difference. Tyre choice is completely dependant upon what type of surface you're intending to drive upon.

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                    I used to have an 850 mini that was the same, cost a fortune in front number plates though

An 850!

Magic wand gearstick?

Comment

I've decided the wide mud tyres i have on 4runner are cr%p in snow!
                      After driving in snow every day this week going skiing.
                      especially if there are narrow ruts in the snow, they keep grabbing the steering side to side - they just spread out weight too much, a bit like rubbish low profile tyres on many cars today

I'm not talking about a poxy 1-2" of snow, but 6-12" of the stuff

I drove a series II in snow yesterday - it had narrow tyres AT tread, it was much more stable,

I am wondering what the narrowest tyre i can fit on a 7" rim is ??? It has 255/75 R15 on a the moment, can I fit narrower tyres on it?

Our subaru with 205/65 R15 snow tyres is shed loads better in the snow than the 4runner - no argument! - the 4runner would only have the edge in 1ft deep stuff, when it clearance helps
                      Landcruiser Colorado
                      Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                      X